TORONTO – Discount retailer Walmart says it will soon offer premium Lord & Taylor fashion brands on its American website.Walmart says the flagship Lord & Taylor online department store is expected to launch on Walmart.com in spring 2018.Spokeswoman Denise Incandela says the company’s goal is to create a premium fashion destination as the chain’s customers are searching its website for higher-end items.She says Walmart is starting with fashion as it expands its online business to include specialized and premium shopping experiences.The company says Lord & Taylor will be able to reach exponentially more shoppers through a dedicated store on Walmart’s website and app than through its own online presence.The Hudson’s Bay Co. (TSX:HBC) acquired Lord & Taylor, an American department store founded in 1826 that now has 50 locations in the U.S., in 2012.
TORONTO – Hydro One Ltd. says former CIBC executive Tom Woods has been named permanent chairman of its board of directors.Woods has been serving in the job on an interim basis since Aug. 14.The board of directors at the utility as well as its chief executive resigned earlier this year amid pressure from Ontario’s Progressive Conservative government.Woods was among the 10 new directors named in August as replacements for the company’s previous 14-member board.During his career at CIBC, Woods served as chief financial officer, chief risk officer and vice chairman.Hydro One also announced the appointment of Chris Lopez as acting chief financial officer. Lopez was most recently the senior vice-president of finance at the utility.Companies in this story: (TSX:H)
DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – Fresh off winning their first Canadian Country Music Association’s Group of the Year and Roots Artist or Group of the Year for the 3rd consecutive time, The Washboard Union will be riding into Dawson Creek. The award-winning trio will be headlining the PBR Bull Riding event on December 1st at the Encana Events Centre.The Washboard Union have defied classification and have become one of the most exciting and talked about bands in Country music. Led by Aaron Grain, Chris Duncombe and David Roberts, The Washboard Union share an innate love for the art of songwriting and storytelling that has resonated with audiences from North America to Europe. “They are destined to be the new kings of country music” (CBC Canada). The band was certified gold this past year and have now had 3 Top 10 hits in Canada with more on the way from their latest album “What We’re Made Of”.One of the busiest bands touring in Canada, The Washboard Union have shared the stage with Zac Brown Band, Keith Urban, Reba McEntire, Dwight Yoakam, Jason Aldean, Thomas Rhett, Lonestar, and were direct support for Old Dominion on their 2018 Happy Endings Canadian Tour. Bull riding enthusiasts will have the opportunity to enjoy what Canada has to offer and has been celebrating this year with these boys. The Washboard Union are excited to be part of this great PBR event that features some of the top Canadian Bull Riders as they bring the toughest sport on dirt to Dawson Creek December 1st As the top men on the PBR Tour ride their way into town, joining them will be reigning PBR Champion, Zane Lambert. Lambert is also the top bull rider in the Canadian Professional Rodeo Association’s standings.With top pro Bull Riders and the award-winning Washboard Union, Dawson Creek will be rocking this December. Get your tickets today and don’t miss all the fun and excitement.Tickets for the event are on sale and can be purchased at the Tiger Box Office Plus, Systems Sound Source in Fort St. John, or at www.tigerboxboxofficeplus.ca or by phone at 1-877-339-8499.
CHETWYND, B.C. – Over 800 customer are without power in Chetwynd and Moberly Lake.A motor vehicle caused Hydro customers to lose power at approximately 4:17 a.m. Monday and may not be back on until 12:30 p.m. Hydro lists the outage as affecting customers north of Campbell Way in Chetwynd.For updates on the power outage, visit www.bchydro.com/outages
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Today, September 3, is the last day to take part in the B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s survey regarding the services that it provides.The Ministry is looking for public feedback on how it can improve its services across the province, including the provided services within the Peace Region.According to the Ministry of Transportation, the survey is divided into two parts focusing on customer service and the quality of service. The Ministry says the survey will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.The deadline to take part in the survey is September 3 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.The survey can be found online through the Province’s website.
London: UK Prime Minister Theresa May could set a date for her resignation in the coming day, said Graham Brady, the chairman of an influential committee of backbench Conservative MPs, the media reported on Saturday. Speaking to the BBC, Brady said he expects a “clear understanding” of that timetable once she has met the 1922 Committee — an elected body of Conservative MPs that represents backbenchers and oversees the party’s leadership contests — which she will do on Wednesday. He said the 1922 Committee had asked her to give “clarity” about her plans for the future, and she had “offered to come and meet with the executive”. “It would be strange for that not to result in a clear understanding (of when she will leave) at the end of the meeting.” The Prime Minister has that said she will step down when her Brexit deal is ratified by Parliament, but some MPs want a fixed date. When asked about running for the party leadership, Brady told the BBC: “It would take an awful lot of people to persuade me. “I’m not sure many people are straining at the leash at the moment to take on what is an extraordinarily difficult situation.” In March, Mrs May pledged to stand down if and when Parliament ratified her Brexit withdrawal agreement, but did not make it clear how long she intends to stay if no deal is reached. The UK had been due to leave the European Union on March 29, but the deadline was pushed back to October 31 after Parliament was unable to agree a way forward.
WELLINGTON- A New Zealand woman found murdered with a British companion in Libya was visiting the country at the time of her death, New Zealand’s foreign ministry said Saturday, adding an investigation would be held by Libyan officials.Libyan troops found the bodies on a beach in Mellitah, near the city of Sabratha, on Thursday. They had both been shot.“The exact circumstance of their deaths is not yet clear and will be subject to an investigation by the Libyan authorities,” the foreign ministry statement said. “The deceased New Zealander was normally resident in New Zealand and was visiting Libya.“The family of the New Zealander have requested privacy and asked that no further details be released publicly.”The ministry said it categorises most of Libya as an “extreme risk, due to the significant threat from terrorism and kidnapping and we advise against all travel”.The woman’s British companion was said to have worked for an equipment maintenance company.The Mellitah area houses a major gas complex run by Mellitah Oil and Gas, a joint enterprise of Italy’s ENI and Libya’s state-owned National Oil Company, which exports natural gas to Italy through the Greenstream pipeline.Libya has seen growing unrest since the overthrow of long-time dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011 and an American teacher was gunned down last month while on his morning jog.
Casablanca – The joint electronic ticket system between the Urban Transportation Authority and CasaTram has been experiencing an unexpected delay in its implementation.As a result, urban buses have become more overcrowded than ever as passengers now have to wait their turn to purchase the ticket from the bus driver.According to Al-Akhbar, the execution of the new system is delayed for many reasons, mainly indecisiveness about many procedures. The most significant issues currently being resolved are revenue sharing between the two companies, ticket prices, the information-sharing and the technical support system. Youssef El Ouardighi, the Director of Human Resources at Medina Bus, states that the company has invested MAD 50 million to equip 800 buses with the technology, and that it is now technically and logistically prepared to subscribe to the Electronic Joint Ticket System.He adds that the company is currently awaiting the decision of the relevant authorities to implement the system.In a phone interview with Al-Akhbar, El Ouardigui states that the price of the ticket will be affordable to the public. However, he said that the company that manages urban transportation in Casablanca does not have any information about the expected ticket price and that the Medina council and the Urban Transportation Management Agency, are still negotiating the issue.The Medina Bus Director of Human Resources has announced that so far, only 30,000 out of 80,000 tickets were distributed and that the company is providing prepaid cards for the public.
Many of the outliers aren’t much of a surprise — Peterson has seen some of the finest rushing seasons in league history over that period, and Bell may be the best back in the league today. But others require a bit more strain on the memory, such as Penn State’s Larry Johnson, who had two outstanding seasons after he emerged from behind Priest Holmes on the Kansas City Chiefs’ depth chart.More relevant, though, are the players who not only didn’t come up playing against SEC speed, but were outside the Power Five altogether. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, Michael Turner, Alfred Morris, Doug Martin, LeSean McCoy and a cavalcade of high-performing backs have combined for 187 player seasons with at least 100 carries since 2001. (This includes players such as Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee, who played for Miami before it joined the ACC in 2004.)1Likewise, McCoy played for Pitt before it joined the ACC and Tomlinson played for TCU before it joined the Big 12. And today’s top backs also include Jay Ajayi out of Boise State and David Johnson out of Northern Iowa.Not that any of this falls on the head of Fournette, whom everyone is taking a little too seriously. The SEC does put a lot of players in the league, and in positions to contribute for their teams. But if Fournette runs over the NFL the same way he did those SEC run defenses, he’ll be the first to do so in quite a while. When Jacksonville Jaguars rookie running back Leonard Fournette said the jump to the NFL was “really easy” after his time playing in the much-hyped SEC for LSU, a lot of observers raised an eyebrow. Things certainly haven’t always looked easy for SEC backs drafted in the first round.Todd Gurley, who was taken 10th overall out of Georgia in 2015, had an outstanding rookie season but struggled badly as a sophomore. Alabama’s Trent Richardson was out of the league in just four seasons after the Browns used the third overall pick on him in 2012. Georgia’s Knowshon Moreno had one 1,000-yard season among the six he lasted in the NFL after going 12th in 2009.The most productive highly drafted SEC backs around these days are likely Mark Ingram and Darren McFadden — neither of whom has ever looked like the star he was in college.Still, while the SEC hasn’t had the standouts of the Big 12 (Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma) or even the Big Ten (Le’Veon Bell, Michigan State), it has put a lot of backs in the league. Since 2001, there have been 97 player seasons in which a player from the SEC has had at least 100 rush attempts in a season, according to ESPN Stats & Information, compared to only 58 for the Big Ten, 43 for the Big 12, 68 for the Pac 10/12 and 38 for the ACC. This complicates the SEC’s reputation for turning out relative busts at the running back position a bit, since its players have at least shown the capacity to earn carries in the league.Here’s a chart showing each individual player season for SEC backs drafted since 2001:
OSU women’s soccer players celebrate during a game against Indiana on Sept. 26, 2014. Credit: Lantern File PhotoThe Ohio State women’s soccer team earned a solid victory over the visiting team, Wright State, on Tuesday with a final score of 4-2.With the season just kicking off this month, the Buckeyes are off to a strong start as they enjoy their second victory in the first two games.The game got off to a strong start for OSU, giving the team plenty of momentum. Within the first ten minutes of play, both senior defender Morgan Wolcott and senior defender Bridget Skinner got past Wright State’s goal keeper, giving Skinner her first goal of the season.Throughout the match, OSU was able to consistently maintain possession, as Wright State did everything they could to match the Buckeyes pace.More attempts were made at the goal by Wolcott and OSU senior defender Nicole Miyashiro, but none were successful before the second half began.The game ended up tied 2-2 in the second half, causing the Buckeyes to focus their efforts on taking back the lead.OSU soon took back control of the game when junior midfielder Nikki Walts netted her first goal of the season putting OSU back on top.OSU relentlessly held possession for the rest of the game, adding a goal from junior forward Nya Cason to harness the lead on route to a victory.Coach Lori Walker said after the game that she is excited for the season ahead, having high expectations for the Buckeyes.“The National Championship is something we can shoot for,” she said. “We work on all of our goals each game, game by game. We’ve been doing well against Ohio teams.”Walker also said she was impressed with the performance of the team’s new players.“The [new] players getting more minutes will definitely help later on,” she said.The next home game for the team is on Friday, Sept. 9, when they will face off against Texas State.