News News to go further NepalAsia – Pacific RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) today condemned the killing of pro-Maoist journalist Binod Sajana Chaudhary on 27 September in western Nepal, noting that initial reports suggested he was summarily executed by security forces.In a letter to Prime Minister Surya Bahadur Thapa, the organisation called on the government to establish the circumstances of his death and stressed that such behaviour by the security forces could in no way be justified by the fact that he used to write for a Maoist newspaper. Journalists are protected by the Geneva Conventions in wartime, like the rest of the civilian population, the organisation said.At the time of his death, Chaudhary was a contributor to the weekly Nepalgunj Express in the western district of Kailali. He used to write for the Maoist weekly Janadesh, which no longer exists.Chaudhary was reported shot dead at point-blank range along with a Maoist activist. The daily Nepal Samacharpatra quoted Maoist rebel sources as alleging that he was shot by members of the security forces in civilian dress after showing his identity card. He had been on his way on Kegaun in search of information at the time. The Maoist sources said he was not armed.Local security sources told the press that Chaudhary and the Maoist activist were killed in an armed clash.Maoist rebels killed Gyanendra Khadka, a journalist with the government news agency RSS, in the Sindhupalchok district northeast of Kathmandu on 7 September by slitting his throat. Journalists in Nepal have again been the target of violence, kidnapping, arrests and threats since the Maoist party CNP-M announced an end to the cease-fire on 27 August. Nepal: RSF’s recommendations to amend controversial Media Council Bill June 8, 2020 Find out more Organisation NepalAsia – Pacific Receive email alerts News Under Chinese pressure, Nepal sanctions three journalists over Dalai Lama story May 29, 2019 Find out more October 2, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Pro-Maoist journalist killed Nepalese journalists threatened, attacked and censored over Covid-19 coverage Security forces are accused of the killing of Binod Sajana Chaudhary, a journalist with the Maoist weekly Janadesh, which no longer exists. Reporters Without Borders calls on the government to establish the circumstances of his death and remind that journalists are protected by the Geneva Conventions in wartime, like the rest of the civilian population. Follow the news on Nepal Help by sharing this information May 17, 2019 Find out more News
2 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it News Feature Stories Preliminary Hearing for Alleged Terrorist Published on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 | 6:36 pm faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Business News Make a comment Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Name (required) Mail (required) (not be published) Website EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS More Cool Stuff Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Subscribe Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Top of the News First Heatwave Expected Next Week Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Community News Community News HerbeautyA 74 Year Old Fitness Enthusiast Defies All Concept Of AgeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyKeep Your Skin Flawless With These Indian Beauty RemediesHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Lies You Should Stop Telling Yourself Right NowHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyYou Can’t Wear Just Anything If You’re The President’s DaughterHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyTiger Woods Is ‘Different Man’ 10 Years After ScandalHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyIs It Bad To Give Your Boyfriend An Ultimatum?HerbeautyHerbeauty A preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday for Gerardo Cortez, who is accused of making bomb threats against a middle school, a post office and the Pasadena Department of Health.The threats led to the evacuation of Washington Middle School on Oct. 24 and the health building on Oct. 25.Â No bombs were found. Authorities said the caller claimed to be armed with an assault rifle and was nearby.Cortez was charged with three counts of making a false bomb report, three counts of making criminal threats and one count of attempting to make a criminal threat. All are felonies, said Sandi Gibbons of the Los Angeles County District Attorneyâ€™s Office.Cortez, 25, has since pleaded not guilty.Â He was arrested about a block south of the health building, where he reportedly told officers that he had been very angry due to personal problems.He also admitted to them that he had made bomb threats against the middle school on Oct. 24.His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Wednesday in Dept. J of the Pasadena Courthouse, 300 E. Walnut St.