Second law curbing press freedom secretly promulgated

first_img RSF_en March 9, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Second law curbing press freedom secretly promulgated GambiaAfrica Organisation GambiaAfrica News Three journalist arrested, two radio stations closed in Gambia Gambia still needs to address challenges to press freedom Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts to go further After learning that a second draconian press law was secretly promulgated on 28 December, Reporters Without Borders today reiterated its appeal to the international community to put pressure on President Yahya Jammeh to stop his mounting crackdown on Gambia’s news media. Gambia: former president must stand trial for journalist’s murder After learning that a second draconian press law was secretly promulgated on 28 December, Reporters Without Borders today reiterated its appeal to the international community to put pressure on President Yahya Jammeh to stop his mounting crackdown on Gambia’s news media”Gambia’s president clearly intends to keep tight control on journalists during a period of unrest and in the approach to a crucial election year,” the press freedom organization said. “The silence of his African and European counterparts leaves his hands free to turn Gambia into one of the West African countries that most restrict press freedom.”The organization added: “This is virtually already the case, with the approval of this new law, the fruitless investigation into the murder of newspaper editor Deyda Hydara and the president’s frequent inflammatory comments about journalists.”It has emerged from the official Gambia Gazette of 30 December that, despite appeals from international organizations and African journalists, Jammeh promulgated the Newspaper Amendment Act 2004 at the same time as the Criminal Code Amendment Bill 2004.This law cancels all the licences that had previously been issued to the news media and forces them to re-register, while at the same time increasing the cost of a publishing licence five-fold, from 100,000 dalasis (2,600 euros) to 500,000 dalasis (13,000 euros). It also forces journalists to adopt a strict code of conduct within six months that imposes sanctions on violators.The promulgation of these two laws was not made public until the end of February. The Gambia Press Union (GPU) – a journalists’ union – has said it intends to challenge the constitutionality of these two laws in the courts. Reporters Without Borders supports this initiative.————————-23.02.2005 – President Yahya Jammeh promulgates law opening prison gates to journalistsReporters Without Borders voiced “outrage” today at the treatment reserved for the press in Gambia, where President Yahya Jammeh promulgated at least one press law on 28 December without the Gambia Press Union (GPU) – the journalists’ trade union – ever being able to get a copy.”Gambia sinks deeper into darkness and the international community pretends not to see,” the press freedom organization said. “Gambia’s journalists have learned through the press that, despite the appeals of African journalists and international organizations, the president surreptitiously promulgated a draconian press law without the government seeing the need to tell them for two months.”Reporters Without Borders said it was outraged by both the government’s methods and the law’s content. “This is a serious reverse for press freedom in western Africa and an additional humiliation by President Jammeh for Gambia’s journalists after the blow they received in the form of newspaper editor Deyda Hydara’s murder in December.”The organization added: “It is high time that the African Union, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the Commonwealth and democratic countries with good relations with Gambia should convince President Jammeh that this spiralling repression is alarming and dangerous. The international community must help Gambian journalists to preserve their freedom instead of ignoring them.”The Daily Observer said yesterday that, in an undistributed issue of the official Gambia Gazette dated 30 December, the president’s office promulgated a criminal code amendment that was passed by the national assembly on 14 December. The amendment, which changes the press code, stipulates that publishing deliberately defamatory comments or publishing inaccurate news – deliberately or not – is punishable by a prison sentence of six months or more. Seditious comments are punishable by six months in prison for the first conviction and three years for subsequent convictions. According to the Gambia Gazette, Jammeh signed this into law on 28 December.The other bill passed by the national assembly on 14 December, the Newspaper Amendment Act 2004, appears not to have been promulgated. Heavily criticized by the opposition during the parliamentary debate, it would rescind all existing news media licences, increase the cost of a new licence for newspaper owners from 100,000 dalasis (2,571 euros) to 500,000 dalasis (12,855 euros), and make them register their homes as security for non-payment.GPU president Demba Jawo told Reporters Without Borders the government did not give him a copy of the new law despite his repeated requests. “There aren’t many people in the government willing to give me information on this subject,” he said. He added that the journalists’ union intended to challenge the law’s constitutionality as soon as it got all the details. News News News January 27, 2020 Find out more August 6, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Gambia July 23, 2019 Find out morelast_img read more

UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition

first_img National Lottery Community Fund issues £14m in Climate Action grants August 24, 2020 Related Articles StumbleUpon Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Submit Camelot aims for ‘Big September’ supporting a high street recovery August 26, 2020 The UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) has this morning formally launched its competition to award the ‘fourth National Lottery operating licence‘.The current (third) GBP multi-billion contract serviced by Camelot Group will expire in 2023, as the UKGC and its advisory panel open its new concession to competitor proposals.Launching its competition, the UKGC underlined that it will award its licence to the incumbent that “maximises the opportunities for players and good causes to benefit from innovation and creativity, whilst protecting the National Lottery’s unique status.”Neil McArthur, UKGC Chief Executive, said: “The National Lottery is a national treasure. It has a reputation for providing enjoyable games and a high degree of player protection, as well as a rich history of prize giving and returns to good causes. We are determined to protect and build on the reputation of the National Lottery.“For the fourth licence, we will be evolving our approach to regulation to build on the National Lottery’s huge successes. In line with our outcomes-focused approach to regulation, we want the next licensee to have greater autonomy to meet the needs of players in 2023 and beyond, whilst ensuring there is clear accountability for the performance of the National Lottery.The UKGC underlined four key conditions added to its fourth operating licence, which will be awarded for a ‘fixed operating term of 10-years’ – allowing the licensee to secure a clear period for investment planning.A ‘focus on performance’ is outlined as a key directive, in which the incumbent must provide greater transparency on how funds are raised for good causes to protect the National Lottery’s integrity and reputation.Competing incumbents will also have to propose an ‘incentive mechanism’ ensuring that the licensee’s delivery of customer rewards is closely aligned with the lottery’s mandate of creating greater returns for good causes.The UKGC’s final condition relates to ‘protecting the brand’, with a requirement to foster the strongest relationship possible with distributors of National Lottery funding – ‘strengthening the link between the National Lottery brand, its players and good causes’.Dawn Austwick, Chief Executive of The National Lottery Community Fund, said: “The National Lottery has been at the cornerstone of communities across the UK for 25 years. In this time, National Lottery players have raised £41bn for good causes, supporting arts, sport, heritage and communities and transforming people’s lives. We welcome a strong competition to ensure this success continues for years to come.”Working alongside DCMS, the UKGC stated that it has been working on its competition framework since 2018, undertaking global market engagement to hear from businesses and investors interested in participating in the future of the National Lottery.Further research directives saw the UKGC and DCMS consult UK media, technology, telecoms and retail enterprises, receiving diverse input on how innovation and new technologies could unlock new opportunities for the National Lottery raising money for good causes.DCMS Minister for Sports, Tourism and Heritage Nigel Huddleston said: “The National Lottery has a positive impact on communities right across the UK, supporting thousands of good causes as well as the sectors that brighten up our lives including the arts, culture, heritage and sport.“The fourth licence competition will secure the National Lottery’s future combining safe play with life-changing prizes. Most importantly it will help raise billions more pounds to benefit people’s lives in villages, towns and cities throughout the country.”The UKGC concluded its statement by detailing that interested parties have been officially invited to take part in the ‘first formal stage of the competition’.Applicants that pass the opening process will receive an ‘Invitation to Apply (ITA)‘ and supporting documents in order to begin preparing their application. The UKGC aims to announce its winning incumbent in September 2021. Share Sharelast_img read more

NBA All-Star Game 2019: Biggest snubs, surprises to make rosters

first_imgThe Western Conference @NBAAllStar Reserve [email protected]_12 @AntDavis23Nikola [email protected]_Lillard @KlayThompson @KarlTowns @russwest44 #NBAAllStar pic.twitter.com/BHu2JnxiHg— NBA (@NBA) February 1, 2019The Eastern Conference @NBAAllStar Reserve [email protected] @blakegriffin23 @Klow7 @Khris22m @VicOladipo @BenSimmons25 @NikolaVucevic #NBAAllStar pic.twitter.com/LfwuSBvA1P— NBA (@NBA) February 1, 2019But, as always, there were a few surprises while some notable players were left off the rosters.Here are the biggest snubs and the surprises to make the 2019 NBA All-Star Game rosters. Related News NBA free agency rumors: Clippers, Nets expected to pursue Jimmy Butler this offseason NBA All-Star Game 2019: Ben Simmons, Anthony Davis lead list of reserves SnubsD’Angelo Russell / Jimmy ButlerRussell has put the Nets in position to make the playoffs for the first time since 2014-15 and Butler has elevated the 76ers into championship contention.Both of these players could have been in the game and one of them will probably end up there.Pacers star Victor Oladipo was named a reserve Thursday. However, he suffered a season-ending leg injury last week and will be unable to participate. Russell and Butler are the leading candidates to replace him.Tobias HarrisThe eight-year veteran is having his best season and is undoubtedly the Clippers’ go-to scorer.He’s averaging 21.2 points and 7.9 rebounds while shooting 43.3 percent from 3-point range in 2018-19. All of those are career highs.Los Angeles has exceeded expectations this season and is fighting for a playoff spot in the Western Conference. Harris deserved an All-Star spot.Luka DoncicDoncic has had a fantastic season and many believed he’d end up in the game.The third-overall pick in the 2018 draft is top five amongst rookies in almost every statistical offensive category. He’s registered 20.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game.The Mavericks are just 23-27 but are much improved this season. Doncic is the main reason why.SurpriseKhris MiddletonMiddleton has certainly been good this season. He’s averaging 17.3 points and 4.2 assists in 31.1 minutes per game while shooting 37.6 percent from 3-point range. The Bucks are also one of the best teams in the NBA and enter play Thursday in first place of the Eastern Conference standings with a 36-13 record. They deserve to be rewarded for their success.Middleton, however, is clearly Milwaukee’s secondary option behind Giannis Antetokounmpo and he has also had better statistical seasons. He tallied 20.1 points per game in 2017-18 and has knocked down more than 40 percent of his 3-pointers three different times during his seven-year career.While he is deserving of a spot, a case could definitely be made that Russell or Butler should be on the team over Middleton.Klay ThompsonThompson is one of the best shooters of all time and a major reason for the Warriors’ success since 2014-15. But, he isn’t putting up his typical numbers from 3-point range this season.center_img The complete list of players competing in the 2019 NBA All-Star Game was released Thursday.The Magic’s Nikola Vucevic and Denver’s Nikola Jokic will make their first appearances in the game while Blake Griffin became an All-Star for the first time since 2014-15. Thunder guard Russell Westbrook and Pelicans star Anthony Davis were also obvious reserve selections. Thompson struggled to open the year and while he has rebounded, he’s shooting 37.9 percent from behind the arc, his worst percentage in his eight-year career. He’s also connected on 46.2 percent of his total shots, his worst field-goal percentage since 2013-14.The 2019 game will be Thompson’s fifth All-Star appearance. He is averaging 21.7 points, but Harris or Doncic may have been more deserving of a selection this season.The teams will be picked by captains LeBron James and Antetokounmpo at 8 p.m. ET Feb. 7 on TNT. This will be the first year the event is televised. The game will be played Feb. 17 in Charlotte, N.C.last_img read more