Man stabbed by father died from perforation of the lung

first_imgThe post-mortem examination performed on the body of Satesh Sookdeo proved that he died as a result of perforation to the lungs from the stab wound to his chest. The autopsy was conducted by Dr Nehaul Singh at the Georgetown Public Hospital on Monday.Dead: Satesh Kevin SookdeoSatesh Kevin Sookdeo, 21, of Lot 217 Fifth Street, Foulis, East Coast Demerara, was stabbed to death by his father on Saturday evening during an argument.It was reported that at about 20:35h, the 44-year-old suspect and his wife had an argument during which he grabbed her by the neck and began choking her.Upon seeing this, the now dead young man and another sibling intervened, but this enraged the father further, who subsequently broke a louvre pane and stabbed Satesh to his chest.Neighbours rushed to the family’s aid after hearing screams but by then the younger Sookdeo had already succumbed to the injuries. The Police were contacted and the suspect was arrested.Meanwhile, now that the post-mortem examination have been performed, the file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice. The suspect, according to a source, could make his court appearance on Tuesday and is expected to be arraigned with murder.last_img read more

NDC Chairmen call out REO for disparaging remarks

first_img“Several roads cannot be fixed, community grounds slashed and drains cleaned because of one person: the REO, Ovid Morrison.” This is according Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) Chairman Khrisna Sewlall, who was responding to statements made by Regional Executive Officer of Region 5, Ovid Morrison, that officials in Region 5 (Mahaica/Berbice) have been stymieing development there.Bath-Woodley Park NDCChairman Khrisna SewlallAccording to Morrison, some NDC leaders are deliberately withholding reporting on issues in some communities, and that is usually due to their political bias, and because they are putting politics ahead of their own community development. He, however, said the problem is fortunately not widespread.However, his disparaging remarks about the NDC heads did not sit well with several of those chairmen, and they have called out the REO for accusing regional officials of putting politics before development.Following the accusations, which were made public on Monday, two NDC Chairman have responded by saying that this same REO has been stifling development in their NDCs.Rosignol-Zee Lust NDCChairman Ramnauth PooranChairman of the Bath/Woodley Park NDC, Khrisna Sewlall, told this publication that officials from the NDC have to make an appointment before they are able to discuss issues with the REO in order to get projects going, and he is often unavailable to speak with them.According to Sewlall they were recently told that they have to wait six weeks before the REO can fit them in on his schedule.Similar sentiments were shared by Chairman of the Rosignol/Zee Lust NDC, Ramnauth Pooran, who told this publication that the NDC is waiting on the REO to sign vouchers for their 2018 work programme.According to Sewlall, the NDC’s major concern is that it cannot get to execute projects on a timely basis. “After having approved these projects at the statutory meeting of the Bath/Woodley Park NDC, cheques are written and vouchers are prepared to purchase materials, but the vouchers would have to be endorsed by the Local Government Department of the Regional Democratic Council, especially the REO,” he said.He explained that, in some instances, it would take weeks for that to be done.“I have to make an appointment to see the REO in order to get these vouchers approved. This is one of the reasons why our projects are being delayed. One of the reasons, one of the concerns, is that after having submitted our proposed work programme for 2019, specifically for work done with the subvention, we have to wait for long periods.”Sewlall said the major project the NDC had had in its 2019 budget was to rehabilitate Saga Street at Bath Settlement.“Now we are in the month of August, and that street is in a deplorable state and we haven’t got any feedback from the engineering department nor the Local Government Department. We are frustrated,” he said.The NDC chairman also referred to President David Granger’s claims of empowering the local arms of Government.“Right now we feel that there is no need for an NDC, because the REO does what he wants to do with our Council. Our projects are at a standstill… This is frustrating. If we want to purchase material to repair a bridge, we have to take the quotation to the REO, and he will choose whoever he wants to purchase from, then we will prepare the vouchers; and we have to take it back again to him before cheques can be written. Democracy at the RDC is frustrating.”According to this NDC chairman, in excess of $6 million is sitting in the NDCs bank account after residents would have struggled to pay their taxes. However, the NDCs hands are tied and it cannot provide the needed development to those residents. The chairman blames the REO for this state of affairs.According to the Chairman, six weeks have passed and the NDC has not been able to meet with the REO for him to look at some vouchers which were prepared by the NDC in order for projects to be executed.Meanwhile, a correspondence from the Ministry of Communities to the NDC in the month of May indicated that $2.5 million was approved for the NDC to carry out its work programme, but according to Sewlall, the NDC is yet to receive the money.last_img read more

Man City’s summer spending spree not over, says Guardiola

first_imgBut it remains likely that they will continue their haul after being strongly linked with moves for Arsenal frontman Alexis Sanchez and Monaco teenage striker Mbappe.Mbappe has been on City’s radar throughout the summer, although there have been strong suggestions in Spain that Real have agreed a fee of £160 million ($210 million, 180 million euros) for the 18-year-old.Ahead of Wednesday’s International Champions Cup encounter against Real Madrid, in Los Angeles, Guardiola wasn’t being drawn on either.“They are Monaco and Arsenal players, so nothing to say,” he said.Pep Guardiola says Manchester City are ‘still looking’ to add to their £200 million summer spending spree © AFP/File / Anthony DevlinBut he did confirm that City were still looking at options in the market, albeit he was coy on whether another striker was on the agenda.“We have the two exceptional forwards in Gabriel (Jesus) and Sergio (Aguero),” he said. “We will see.“The market finishes on August 31, which is not good for the managers.“The competition (Premier League) starts on the 12th (of August) and the market is still open. That is not good for all the clubs.“We will see until the end of the transfer window.”Mendy became City’s latest signing earlier this week when the left-back arrived from Monaco in a £52 million ($67 million, 58 million euros) deal.The 23-year-old is still around a fortnight from featuring in a City shirt due to injury, but Guardiola is delighted to have brought in a defender who made such an impression during Monaco’s Champions League campaign last season.“He can attack inside and outside,” Guardiola said. “He’s a young player so sometimes you have to pay a bit more for them.“But we have one guy for the next five or six years.”Bringing in younger players at the back was clearly on Guardiola’s mind this summer after jettisoning the 30-something quartet of Pablo Zabaleta, Gael Clichy, Bacary Sagna and Aleksandar Kolarov to bring in fellow full-backs Mendy, Danilo and Kyle Walker.City spent £130 million ($169 million, 145 million euros)on that trio alone, yet Guardiola believes they will offer long-term value for money.“Manchester City didn’t invest in their full-backs for six or seven years and all four were 30-31 years old,” he said.“We decided to make the squad younger and we tried to get the best full-backs possible.“Dani Alves was free but decided to go to Paris. Kyle, Mendy and Danilo were the best options we had.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Portuguese midfielder Bernardo Silva is one of Manchester United’s 2017 sumer acquisitions © AFP/File / Alexander NEMENOVLOS ANGELES, United States, Jul 26 – Pep Guardiola has confirmed Manchester City are “still looking” to add to their £200 million summer spending spree, although he refused to comment on the possibility of hijacking Real Madrid’s move for Kylian Mbappe.City have been the major shoppers in the transfer market after splashing out a Premier League record total of £200m (223 million euros, $260 million) to bring Benjamin Mendy, Bernardo Silva, Kyle Walker, Ederson, Danilo and Douglas Luiz to the Etihad.last_img read more