As a part of the scientific activity of the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition a collection of eight oriented samples was made by Stephenson from dolerite sills and dykes in the region of the Theron Mountains, Shackleton Range and Whichaway Nunataks. The seven intrusions which have been sampled bear petrological affinities with the Karroo Dolerites of South Africa and with the dolerite sills of Tasmania, and are thought to be of comparable age. They intrude flat-lying sediments and show no evidence of post-formational tilting.
US national security adviser Robert O’Brien has become the highest ranking official in President Donald Trump’s inner circle to test positive for the coronavirus.Announcing the infection on Monday, the White House said in a statement there was no risk of exposure to Trump or Vice President Mike Pence.The announcement caught some White House staff off guard, as there had not been an internal memo about it, one source said. Because of the regular testing regimen, White House officials do not reliably wear masks while working in the West Wing. An administration official said O’Brien had not had contact with the president in several days. The National Security Council did not immediately respond to questions about O’Brien, who was working from home.The White House statement said: “He (O’Brien) has mild symptoms and has been self-isolating and working from a secure location off site. There is no risk of exposure to the president or the vice president. The work of the National Security Council continues uninterrupted.”O’Brien, who took over as national security adviser from John Bolton last September, had traveled to Paris in mid-July to represent the United States at Bastille Day ceremonies. He met French President Emmanuel Macron while there.”I spoke to him late last week,” Trump economic adviser Larry Kudlow told reporters at the White House. “I wish him well, I hope he’s OK. Apparently, it’s a light case. I believe his daughter had caught it before him.”The virus has been disruptive for Trump, who last week was forced to cancel plans for the Republican National Convention in Jacksonville, Florida, where he was to be formally nominated for a second term.A US military member who works at the White House as a valet tested positive for coronavirus in May as did Pence’s press secretary. Topics :
Press Association Advocaat has won league titles in three countries during his lengthy coaching career, claiming the Eredivisie with PSV Eindhoven, the Russian Super League with Zenit St Petersburg and two SPL trophies during his spell at Ibrox. But the nature of the challenge that awaits at the Stadium of Light is of a different order entirely. Poyet left the club a single point above the bottom three and reeling from a calamitous 4-0 home defeat by shot-shy Aston Villa. That result, and images of thousands of Sunderland fans pouring out of the ground in disgust, hastened what had already become an expected departure for Poyet. He was in post for 17 months, winning just 23 games from 75 at the helm. The Uruguayan was permitted to take training for one last time at the Academy of Light before being summoned for a meeting that confirmed his fate. Chairman Ellis Short released a short statement via the club’s official website, explaining the decision. In it he made reference to Poyet’s successful fight against the drop last term, as well as an unexpected run to the Capital One Cup final, but expressed disappointment at slipping once again into a survival scrap. “I would like to thank Gus for his endeavours during his time at the club, in particular last season’s ‘great escape’ and cup final appearance, which will live long in the memory of every Sunderland fan,” said Short. “Sadly, we have not made the progress that any of us had hoped for this season and we find ourselves battling, once again, at the wrong end of the table. We have therefore made the difficult decision that a change is needed.” The statement added that an announcement about Poyet’s successor would be made “in due course”. Sunderland are thought to have given some thought to an internal appointmentm with three-time caretaker manager Kevin Ball and development coach Paul Bracewell already on the pay-roll. But with QPR’s fortunes hardly having been improved by Chris Ramsay’s temporary promotion, the mood appears to have shifted quickly to an experienced campaigner in Advocaat. He would be presented with a similar problem to the one that greeted Poyet’s predecessor Di Canio when he arrived two years ago. The controversial Italian had even less time to secure top-flight status, but collected eight points from seven games to do the job. Sunderland had four more points then than their current haul of 26, but the survival threshold is likely to be low this term. As for Poyet he now joins the likes of Di Canio, Martin O’Neill, Steve Bruce and Ricky Sbragia in failing to turn around Sunderland’s fortunes in recent years. Dick Advocaat was travelling to Sunderland on Monday evening to discuss replacing Gus Poyet as the club’s manager, Press Association Sport understands. The well-travelled Dutchman, who has had two stints in charge of his national side and spent four years at Rangers, has been identified as the man to lead a late charge against relegation following Poyet’s dismissal. The Black Cats are moving quickly in their pursuit of the 67-year-old, with Saturday’s trip to West Ham one of only nine games left to lift them away from the Barclays Premier League drop zone.
Two goals from Daniel Sturridge and one from James Milner eased the pressure on Rodgers in a 3-2 win over Aston Villa, for whom Rudy Gestede scored twice. Rodgers has seen his position come under increasing scrutiny after some poor performances but he thinks there is an active campaign being waged against him. “I am pretty confident that there is a group of people that don’t want me here to be the manager,” he said. “Sometimes we haven’t lost games and the hysteria around it is pretty clear that there is maybe something else going on from behind. “I am talking about people outside of here (the club). “In all competitions we have lost less games than Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal. “We have lost two games, which is equivalent to Tottenham and Manchester United. “The hysteria around ourselves is interesting to note. Myself and the players stay very calm and work very hard knowing we will get our rewards. “We are very much together as a team and the supporters were fantastic today. “As supporters and players we got the victory. We are five points off the top and still with a lot of progress to make.” Rodgers’ comments suggest he is unhappy with his treatment in the media. Many former Liverpool players have been highly critical, although Rodgers would not offer any hint of who he was referring to. Whatever his argument with outside influences, there is no doubt Liverpool have received a boost from the return of Sturridge, who scored his first goals since March after a hip operation. “It is not rocket science. The last time we scored three goals was when he started against Tottenham (in February),” Rodgers added. “If you want to compete at the top you need quality. Daniel has shown in his time he is a real top talent. “I thought he was outstanding and I was disappointed he didn’t get a hat-trick. “His overall game and touch were outstanding and he had a great combination with Danny Ings. “That is the first time they have started and they showed that understanding that good players have.” While Liverpool are only five points adrift of leaders Manchester United, Villa are stuck in the bottom three. “If you score two at Anfield you expect to take something from the game but we didn’t do that,” said manager Tim Sherwood. “That is a major disappointment but it is something I expected. “It is a young group of players we acquired. The club decided it was the best way to go forward and I am very privileged to have the chance to work with them but it comes with its ups and downs.” Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers claimed there are external forces at work with an agenda against him but he refused to say who he thought was behind it or why. Press Association
A strong second half display from Clare saw them beat Waterford 1-24 to 0-9 in last nights other quarter-final at Cusack Park. A late goal from Niall Hoctor saw Tipperary progress to the semi finals of the Munster Minor Hurling Championship.The reigning All Ireland champions edged out Limerick in a thriller at the Semple Stadium, winning on a scoreline of 4-15 to 2-18Afterwards Tipp manager Liam Cahill admitted Limerick probably deserved more from the game. Photo © Tipperary GAA