Empty lots found at addresses of some ‘new’ registrants – GECOM Commissioner

first_imgH2H verificationField officers who conducted the verification exercise of the 20,000+ names listed as new registrants who were captured during the scrapped House-to-House (H2H) Registration process have found empty lots at the addresses on record for those persons.Commissioner Robeson BennThis is according to Opposition-nominated Commissioner at the Guyana Elections Commission, Robeson Benn.He told Guyana Times that they were informed by the party’s scrutineers who worked along with the GECOM staff during the exercise that there were instances where they went to the addresses to verify the names and were met with empty lots.“There were no buildings on the lots where people were said to be…,” he related.However, the Commissioner could not give an exact figure of how many such instances were recorded.Benn indicated that the Commission had a meeting on Monday and they were updated on the five-day verification exercise. However, he said it information provided was not “very helpful”.“I have been told that there is information elsewhere that perhaps some of these persons don’t exist. I can’t speak to the amount. It might be a smaller number. But I’m saying that’s the kind of breakdown we’re expecting from GECOM which should have been provided in the first place. But what we were provided with is just a general summary of the data – using what they confirmed and not confirmed and so on. But beyond that, no informative presentation of the data to be able to get to quick decisions on what to do with the information,” he contended.Additionally, Benn noted that he has seen a few figures of some areas where there were in fact duplicates.“…Despite all of the checks, which had been done twice to scrub the information which was taken [from the H2H exercise], there were persons who had been put down as being registered again,” he stated.According to the Opposition Commissioner, duplication was one of the issued that his party, the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), had raised in the arguments against the conduct of the H2H exercise, which he noted has in fact impaired efforts to do any elections preparations.“There were strong arguments against the doing of the verification exercise from the other side, which I think by the findings of this exercise done on 16,000 alone, shows the type of problems we were warning against and expected would be there on our side,” he pointed out.Nevertheless, the even-member GECOM Commission is expected to meet again on Friday to discuss the findings of the verification exercise.Some 370,000 registrations obtained during the scrapped H2H exercise, which ran from July 20 to August and was objected to by the Opposition, were sent overseas to be cross-matched with the National Register of Registrants Database (NRRD) in order to filter out the duplicates.However, it was recently reported that international digital security company, Gemalto, indicated that some 37,300 were new registrants who are eligible for voting, that is, they are above the age of 18. But an internal check conducted by GECOM showed that approximately 17,000 of those “new registrants” were already on the voters’ list and some even voted in the past.The remaining 20,000 “new names” were up for further verification. Recently, it was reported that the Government-nominated Commissioners were pushing to have a sample survey done from a sample size of 10 per cent from the 20,000 to verify these new names before they go on the voters’ list – a process which the PPP Opposition had objected to.Last week, GECOM Chair, Justice Claudette Singh cast a tie-breaking vote in favour with the Opposition Commissioners to have a field verification exercise of all 20,555 names listed as new registrants.last_img read more

Guardiola vows City have desire to retain title

first_img0Shares0000Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus sealed his side’s win at Everton © AFP / Paul ELLISLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Feb 7 – Pep Guardiola insisted Manchester City’s 2-0 victory at Everton proved they are determined to win their title fight with Liverpool as the champions returned to the top of the table on Wednesday.It was a far from inspired performance from City at Goodison Park, but goals from Aymeric Laporte and Gabriel Jesus ensured they knocked Liverpool out of pole position on goal difference. Liverpool had occupied first place since December 8, but now the pressure is on Jurgen Klopp’s side just five weeks after they could have moved 10 points clear of City.With Liverpool showing signs of nerves after two successive draws damaged their bid for a first English title since 1990, City took advantage in a fixture which was brought forward due to their League Cup final date with Chelsea later this month.It was a crucial victory and City manager Guardiola claimed his players have no intention of letting Liverpool off the hook now.“We come from champions and we are in a situation where we could have given up but it didn’t happen,” Guardiola said.“We gave an incredible game against Liverpool. These players have shown incredible desire and performances for the last two years. How could I question them?“We have played one more game. but it’s the best we can do. The reality is one month ago we could have been 10 points behind when we played Liverpool.“A few days ago we could have been seven points behind. Now we are top of the league. That is the best advice, the lesson is – never give up.“That is a lesson for all athletes. Try to win the games, because life can change immediately.”City struck at the best possible time when Laporte headed them in front in the second minute of first half stoppage-time.The opening goal came from a free-kick, needlessly conceded by Idrissa Gueye as he slid in late on Fernandinho, and taken by David Silva.The Spanish midfielder curled in a perfect delivery which found Laporte unmarked, and only eight yards from goal, for a solid finish.It was the 16th consecutive league and cup game in which Guardiola’s side has scored a first half goal, a run dating back to their first league defeat of the season at Chelsea in early December.And in the context of the title race, it may yet prove to be one of the more important although it took until deep into stoppage-time of the second half for City to claim their second.– Title intrigue –Kevin De Bruyne played in Jesus, whose initial run was blocked by Jordan Pickford, only for the ball to sit up kindly for the Brazilian to head into an open goal.That was enough to stretch City’s goal advantage to seven over Liverpool and set up an intriguing weekend, when Klopp’s team must face Bournemouth 24 hours before the leaders host Chelsea on Sunday.“We have started the week well, (beating) Arsenal and here, now comes a big, big test, a big goal,” Guardiola said.“Chelsea are an exceptional team who have had seven days to prepare. We have to prepare well.“It really is a final for us this weekend. If we are able to take these points, it is a huge step forward.”Having survived a test of their nerve at Everton, City have no time to rest on their laurels.But Guardiola insisted he won’t complain about the hectic schedule.“I used to listen to what older managers – Sir Alex Ferguson, Rafa Benitez – what they said and complained about the schedules and nothing happened,” he said.“I arrived here so I understand the situation. If we played just one competition, the schedule would be better but when you have to play four you have to adapt.“So when the Premier League say we have to play there, we take the bus to play at the right time and, at the right moment, we play the game.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more