Poro Devil Wanted for Alleged Torture, Murder

first_imgA devil of the Poro Society involved in the alleged torture of one Samuel Mansuo, 55, which turned fatal in Zuaplay Town, Doe Administrative District, Nimba County, is said to have escaped upon news of the arrest of 28 of its followers.The Administrative District Commissioner, Samuel Napah Wehyee, quoted the women of Zuaplay who said that they saw the devil escaping to the nearby town called Gbanquoi, after his followers were arrested.On Saturday, October 17, Samuel Mansuo was arrested and tortured for his failure to comply with the norms of the Poro Society, which call for payment of fines for ‘violating rules’ in the town.It all began when the late Samuel Mansuo’s son, Nentor Mansuo, got into a dispute with one of his friends in Zuaplay over a parcel of land which he (Nentor) accused his friend of illegally taking.During the dispute, Nentor vandalized the house his friend was building on said land.Based on that report, the citizens of the town held a traditional trial.  Samuel stood trial for his son Nentor, who by then had absconded.  He was found guilty of violating the town’s rule against fighting and violence and ordered to pay a fine of a pan filled with rice along with cattle. According to the police, the man begged for time to allow him find the items with which to pay, but some members of the town refused and demanded that the man pay the fine at once or be arrested by the devil.It was based on this demand that the devil’s chairman, Saturday Womengbah, ordered the arrest of the man, tied and tortured him until he died.The police charged 14 persons with murder and sent them to court while others connected to the alleged crime   were set free, as police said those freed had no connection to the incident.It had earlier been reported that 27 persons were arrested in connection with the killing, but police later confirmed that 24 were arrested, of which 14 were charged and 10 set free.The devil remains at large.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Marcus Rashford invited to England’s pre-Euro 2016 training camp

first_img1 18-year-old Rashford has impressed with seven goals in his first 16 senior appearances for Man United Manchester United’s teenage striker Marcus Rashford has been invited to England pre-Euro 2016 training camp, but it remains unclear if Roy Hodgson will take him to the summer’s finals in France.Rashford, 18, has won many admirers for his rapid rise at Old Trafford, having scored seven goals in 16 games in his debut campaign.Back-to-back braces, against FC Midtjylland in the Europa League and Arsenal in the Premier League, in the first two senior appearances of his career quickly led to calls for an England call-up, and Hodgson refused to rule out the possibility of taking the youngster to the tournament.And it is now understood Rashford will be given the chance to impress ahead of this summer’s finals in France.Hodgson has delayed naming his 23-man squad until Monday, and it is understood Rashford will NOT be on the provisional list.But the Three Lions boss has until May 31 to lodge his final squad with UEFA, which means Rashford may have a chance to force his way onto the plane.The United youngster will be unable to play in England’s warm-up friendly against Turkey at the Etihad Stadium due to the FA Cup final.But he COULD be free for selection five days later for another friendly against Australian at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light.Hodgson is reportedly stalling on deciding who should replace the injured Danny Welbeck.Arsenal’s Theo Walcott, and relegated Newcastle’s Andros Townsend are obviously choices, but  Rashford would well be in the frame if he impresses.last_img read more