Police searching for couple wanted on murder charges who escaped custody

first_imgTuscon Police Department via Facebook(TUCSON, Ariz.) — A couple that was being extradited from New York to Tucson, Arizona, is now on the run after allegedly breaking free from a private security company, according to authorities.Blane, 56, and Susan Barksdale, 59, are wanted in the murder of Frank Bligh, who vanished when his home burned down on April 16, as well as other charges, including arson, police in Tucson said Tuesday.Bligh’s body was never found.Susan Barksdale knew Bligh, who was 72, police said.Bligh was a Vietnam veteran and in the Air Force Reserve, his brother, William, told ABC News.“I knew Sue very good. … In fact, my wife and I, one of the times we visited my brother in Tucson, we had dinner with her, we went places with her, she was a very pleasant, nice person,” William Bligh said. “Everybody got along good … and somewhere along the line she met Blane.”The couple allegedly fled to upstate New York in May, where U.S. Marshals and a SWAT team surrounded their RV and took them into custody.Police said that as they were finally being transported from Henrietta, New York, to Pima County, Arizona, they overpowered two security guards in Blanding, Utah, on Monday and allegedly stole their vehicle. That vehicle was later abandoned.The couple is believed to have put the guards, one male and one female, in the back of the transport van. The Barksdales then allegedly drove the van to northeast Arizona, where they abandoned it, with the guards still “tied up in the van,” according U.S. Marshal for the District of Arizona David Gonzales.The guards needed several hours to get free from the van, which gave the Barksdales “a six or seven hour head start,” Gonzales said.Though the guards were not carrying any weapons when they were overpowered, there was a gun that was in a lock box in the transport van. That gun was never accessed by the Barksdales and was recovered by investigators, Gonzales said.There was a third prisoner being transported to Tucson who remained in the van during the entire ordeal.“He wanted no part of it,” Gonzales told ABC News. “He didn’t try to escape and he was kind of a victim himself.”The fugitives are believed to have gotten access to another vehicle through an acquaintance. Investigators believe they could be armed, but they are likely running low on funds and only have $30 that they stole from the guards.“I would love to have these two people caught, and I would love to have the court system take over and do the justice that they deserve,” William Bligh said.“Blane has numerous tattoos on his arms and hands. The Barksdales’ direction of travel is currently unknown. Investigators have information that they are possibly traveling through Arizona. They were last seen driving a red GMC Sierra pickup truck (license plate AZ: 127XTY) with damage to the front passenger side and rear bumper,” Tucson police said in a Facebook post Tuesday.Drivers were being urged to stay on the lookout for the duo, but authorities warned the public that the couple should not be approached.“The FBI, US Marshals and Apache County Sheriff’s Office are assisting in the investigation. If the Barksdales are spotted, please call 911 immediately. Anyone with possible information on their whereabouts is urged to call 911 or 88-CRIME,” the police said.The U.S. Marshals Service has announced they are offering a $10,000 reward for each fugitive.Pima County said it was suspending use of the company that was transporting the prisoners, Security Transport Services, “pending a review of the incident/escape.” The sheriff’s department said it used the service as a cost-saving measure and had transported about 70 inmates so far in 2019.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

East Patchogue Stabbing Suspect’s Photo Released

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Have you seen this suspect?Suffolk County police are asking for the public’s help in finding the suspect who beat and stabbed a man outside a food store in East Patchogue last month.The assailant walked up to the victim in front of Plaza La Familia on East Main Street, where the suspect punched and kicked the victim and then stabbed him with an unknown object at 9 p.m. Oct. 23, according to Fifth Squad detectives.The suspect is described as heavy set Hispanic man with a tattoo of barbed wire on his right bicep and black hair that is short on both sides. He was wearing a white T-shirt and a white baseball cap at the time.Police also released surveillance camera images of the suspect to help the public identify him.Crime Stoppers offers a cash reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to an arrest.Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.last_img read more

No conditions attached to St Kitts-Nevis standby arrangement, says IMF

first_img Share Sharing is caring! Map of St. Kitts & Nevis. Photo credit: nevis 1.comBASSETERRE, St Kitts (CUOPM) — There are no conditions attached to the US$84 million standby arrangement which the Washington-based International Monetary Fund (IMF) will give to St Kitts and Nevis over the next three years, a senior IMF official has disclosed.“The good news is there are not really conditions, I think the term conditions is really a misnomer in this particular case,” said Alfred Schipke, the Washington-based Division Chief, Caribbean 1 Division, Western Hemisphere Department of the IMF.Responding to questions from the local press corps, Schipke said the government of St Kitts and Nevis “in its own programme has set itself targets and what we would do with the government jointly is to review the targets on a regular basis.”“The government has put forward a set of complementary reforms and we support them. As a matter of fact, what we will try to do is to demonstrate to the international community all the efforts that the government is making. It is the government’s targets and what we would do is, as we have over the last year or so and on a regular basis discussed on how the government was moving forward with its reform programme,” said Schipke.Caribbean News Now NewsRegional No conditions attached to St Kitts-Nevis standby arrangement, says IMF by: – June 9, 2011 Tweetcenter_img Share Share 29 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Wellington girls lose on final shot to Augusta in substate semifinals

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (2) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. 0 Vote up Vote down Crusaders are great · 388 weeks ago The officiating stunk. Report Reply 0 replies · active 388 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Duke Fan · 388 weeks ago She has officiated a few of our games and seems to be against us every time. Cowley coach was there and said it was one of the worst officiated games he had seen. It was still a very good year. We are very proud of all of you. Report Reply 0 replies · active 388 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The incredible thing about sports, that despite all the hours of practice, games preparation, and blood, sweat and tears, the fate of a team can be determined by one single second.So was the case of the 2012-13 Wellington girls basketball team, which lost to Augusta 28-26 in the Class 4A sub-state semifinals in Mulvane.That second occurred when Augusta’s Casady Marlnee drove the hoop and released a six-footer. The ball fell through, and with it came the abrupt end of the Crusader basketball season.“It felt like we were running uphill in the sand all game,” said Wellington head girls basketball coach Kevin Hackerott. “We could never get to the top.“It was one of those game we could play ‘could of’, ‘would of’ should of’, for eternity.”For Wellington it was a bit out of character. Since Hackerott has taken over the program, Wellington is good at winning these close games in the fourth quarter.But on Friday, Wellington managed just four points in the fourth quarter. And despite never being down by more 2-4 points throughout most of the second half, Wellington led just once, when Wellington’s Savannah Cornejo hit a banker at the 1:13 mark of the fourth quarter to give the Dukes a 26-25 lead.Augusta responded with two free throws on the other end and led 26-25. Carlie McComb then drove the hoop and made 1-of-2 on the other end to tie the game at 26-all. After Augusta turned the ball over, Wellington’s Sydney Shields missed a trey. Augusta rebounded, took the ball down, worked the clock and set up the final shot in which Marlnee sank the shot.The loss ended Wellington’s season at 13-8. The Crusaders had swept Augusta during the regular season, but lost the game that meant the most.Wellington couldn’t catch a break. Augusta was 12-19 at the free throw line. Wellington was 4-8. There was your ball game. Worse, there were some key moments that didn’t go the Crusaders way.After a high spirited third quarter, Kailey Jenkins would hit a three at the two-second mark that tied the game at 22-all after Wellington had erased a nine-point deficit.The Crusader faithful erupted in ecstasy and a couple of girls leaped on the court thinking the quarter was over.The referee called a technical foul on Wellington for having too many girls on the court and sent Augusta to the foul line. The Orioles hit two free throws and instead of the game being tied, it was 26-24 Augusta.Another bad sequence came in the fourth quarter. Cornejo stole the ball and appeared to have made a layup, only to be called with a charge. That would have tied the game at 24-all.“Boy, I didn’t like that call,” Hackerott said.The game was a grind from the onset. Wellington would lead 7-4 at the end of the first quarter, but was obviously rattled by Augusta’s 1-3-1 zone defense.“I’m surprised not more teams didn’t zone us this year,” Hackerott said.The game was 12-11 Augusta at the half.Wellington came out with renewed energy, but Augusta stifled that quickly with two three-pointers and built the lead to 9. Jenkins responded with the first of her to 3-pointers to cut it to six.The Crusaders would chip the lead to a tie before the technical foul at the end of the third quarter.Both teams would score 4 points in the fourth quarter. The killer in this game was Marlnee’s final shot was Augusta’s only field goal of the fourth quarter.“This is tough,” Hackerott said. “We have five strong-willed seniors who are tough as nails and hate to lose. They will leave this program as the winningest class over a four-year period in the history of the program.Augusta 28 Wellington 26Wellington 7 4 11 4 — 26Augusta 4 8 12 4 — 28Wellington: Cornejo 6, Jenkins 8, Hefley 3, McComb 6, Shields 2, Page 1. Total 5 (4) 4-8 26. Augusta: Leedou 1, Kirk 1, Reichart 2, Madie 2, Childers 9, Robinson 3, Marlnee 10. Total: 5 (2) 12-19 28.last_img read more

Protests shake Rio hours before opening Olympics gala

first_imgBearers Diego Scofano (L) holds the Olympic Torch of Rio 2016 Olympic Games during a torch relay with Giuseppe Pellegrino atop the Sugarloaf in Rio de Janeiro on August 5, 2016. PHOTO AFPRio de Janeiro, Brazil | AFP |Thousands of Brazilians angry at political upheaval, corruption and the cost of the Rio Olympics blocked traffic in protests hours before the gala opening ceremony.Most people came to vent anger at center-right interim president Michel Temer who took power in May on the suspension of the elected leftist president, Dilma Rousseff, for an impeachment trial that her supporters claim amounts to a coup.The demonstrators, however, also targeted the Olympics, saying the billions of dollars spent on staging South America’s first Games fueled corruption and only helped the elite.Waving signs that read “No to the Olympics!” and “Temer out!”, about 3,000 people blocked a major avenue outside the luxury Copacabana Palace Hotel where many Olympic team members are staying.Guests with Olympic accreditation around their necks looked down from the hotel terrace at the protest, while the crowd jeered at vehicles taking Olympic VIPs and athletes through the upscale neighborhood.When a limousine surrounded by police outriders came through, the crowd surged forward, chanting “no to the coup” and “putschists, fascists, we won’t let them pass!”The protest was the latest unwelcome distraction for Brazilian authorities and Olympic organizers ahead of the opening ceremony at the 78,600 capacity Maracana stadium.Authorities are also dealing with rampant crime, including a lengthening list of muggings against Olympic delegates and journalists, despite the deployment of 85,000 soldiers and police to protect the Games.Police at the Copacabana protest, which was to be followed by more demonstrations near the Maracana stadium, were restrained.Even when the protesters blocked the busy Avenida Atlantica, causing a major traffic snarl-up, the dozens of officers held back. The tactic was in marked contrast to the tear gas and rubber bullets used several times in the last few days to clear protesters from the Olympic torch relay. Just a facade Protesters, many of them from Rousseff’s leftist Workers’ Party, said Brazil’s deep economic and social problems are being swept under the carpet for the Olympics. “They’re holding the Olympics when people are having a very hard time,” said Ricardo Parents 59, a psychologist.“The Olympics is a facade, it’s for show. It doesn’t represent the reality of Brazil. They want to show everything nice and perfect.”Over and over again the crowd chanted “Temer out” and called for Rousseff’s return.She is charged with breaking budgetary laws and looks almost certain to be thrown out of office by the Senate in the next few weeks at the end of an impeachment process that she says has been manipulated by Brazil’s right, calling Temer the chief “conspirator.”“I am demonstrating for democracy in Brazil. The world is watching so we are here to denounce the coup,” said one demonstrator, Iraci Franca, 57, a nurse.She also said that the Games were a distraction at a time of national economic crisis.“It’s very hard right now in Rio state for education and health because of the lack of funds and non-payment of salaries,” she said.Rio de Janeiro won the right in 2009 to host the Olympic Games at a time when Brazil was economically and politically on the rise. The collapse in stability and wealth since then has been brutal.Temer is to open the Games at the Maracana stadium, while Rousseff and her predecessor and political mentor Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva have refused to attend the ceremony.With opponents promising to boo Temer at the stadium, organizers plan to play loud music immediately after his remarks and mask the heckling, according to Brazilian media.“We want to take advantage when the world’s attention is on Brazil to denounce what’s happening, how we are on the path to dictatorship,” said one demonstrator, Ubiratan Delgado, a 59-year-old engineer.“We’re not against the Olympics, it’s the criminal Olympics we oppose.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more