By Sofía Pisani / Voice of America November 12, 2019 The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Venezuelan interim government signed a joint cooperation agreement for $214 million to be used in several stages to rebuild democracy in Venezuela.The agreement was signed at USAID headquarters in Washington, D.C., in the presence of Carlos Vecchio, Juan Guaidó’s ambassador to the United States, who said that the agreement meant the beginning of a new era for U.S.-Venezuelan relations. The agreement, he added, would help achieve political change in his country.“This is a historical agreement for us, because we are signing an international cooperation agreement between the U.S. government of President Trump and the [Venezuelan] interim government, enabling us to strengthen Venezuelan society, fight for human rights, reinforce our foreign relations to increase international pressure, and work on the country’s reconstruction process,” Vecchio told Voice of America.Vecchio added that USAID and the Venezuelan diplomatic delegation in the U.S. would manage the money, abiding by all the parameters of transparency.According to USAID Administrator Mark Green, $98 million will be used to address the internal situation of the South American country, specifically in terms of human rights, freedom of the press, and development. Another $116 million will be delivered to the United Nations to be distributed to independent non-profit organizations in Venezuela and provide humanitarian assistance throughout the country.
Balinese health authorities have quarantined nine foreign tourists who were on Emirates flight EK450 from Dubai to Bali after it was found that they sat near a New Zealander who later tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).”We traced the passengers sitting behind, next to and in front of the New Zealand patient,” Bali Health Agency head Ketut Suarjaya said on Tuesday. “They are staying at three different hotels in Bali.”He said that all nine people appeared healthy and that the agency had taken samples from them for testing. The agency will keep the tourists under observation for the next 14 days. “We’ve taken the samples and we asked all [nine tourists] to limit their activities. All of them are foreigners, so we quarantined them in their hotels,” he said.Last week, New Zealand reported its first coronavirus case of a female citizen in her 60s who traveled from Tehran, Iran, to Auckland via Bali.The New Zealand resident traveled using Emirates flight EK450 on Feb. 26. The New Zealand Health Ministry through its Twitter account urged passengers who traveled on the same flight to immediately contact authorities if they were concerned.Ketut said his agency was also investigating a report that an Australian resident had tested positive for COVID-19 after flying from Iran to Melbourne via Bali on Friday.”We haven’t received the report from Australian authorities. However, we’ve collected the manifest data,” he said. “The Bali Port Health Authority has also collected data from health alert cards.” (nal)Topics :
Tottenham were first to falter in a 1-0 defeat at home to West Ham.Ten-man Arsenal were thrashed 3-0 at Leicester before Manchester United and Chelsea played out a 1-1 draw.Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are all still involved in European semi-finals this week, while United were also playing their seventh game in April, and tiredness is catching up on all four.“The stress and the fatigue arrived. We are competing with circumstances that are not the best,” said Spurs boss Pochettino.De Gea decision to makeOle Gunnar Solskjaer insisted before his side’s “must-win” clash with Chelsea that he would not consider dropping David de Gea as the Spaniard’s years of excellent service outweighed a recent bad run.However, Solskjaer’s loyalty may have cost United Champions League football next season as De Gea was at fault once more for Chelsea’s equaliser at Old Trafford.The Norwegian must now not only decide whether to reconsider that call for United’s last two games of the season, but whether the time has come to cash in on De Gea come the summer.United’s player of the year for four of the past five seasons has just one year left on his contract and is holding out for a new deal on a par with the huge contract given to Alexis Sanchez last January.Sanchez has done little to justify his wages in the past 16 months and rewarding De Gea on current form with a similar pay packet is a huge risk.Warnock wonders what could have beenCardiff manager Neil Warnock lamented the tragic loss of Emiliano Sala after his misfiring side slipped closer to relegation.Warnock’s side were beaten 1-0 at Fulham to leave them four points from safety and with a much inferior goal difference to 17th-placed Brighton with only two games remaining.Cardiff’s perilous position is largely due to their toothless forward line according to Warnock, who bemoaned Sala’s death in a plane crash before he had even played a game for the Bluebirds following his January transfer from Nantes.“It was a great finish and I can’t complain about that. That’s the Premier League for you,” Warnock said of Ryan Babel’s late winner for Fulham.“You get what you pay for. For me it brings home the Emiliano Sala tragedy. I thought he could have got us 10 goals. It’s been blow after blow for us.”Share on: WhatsApp De Gea at faultManchester, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City remain just a point ahead of Liverpool at the top with two games of the Premier League season to go as both were victorious again this weekend.By contrast, the pack of four chasing behind them for Champions League football failed to muster a single win between them once more, whilst at the bottom of the table Cardiff edged closer to relegation.Here, AFP Sports looks at five things we learned from the Premier League:Liverpool’s Golden boot battleMohamed Salah and Sadio Mane both scored twice as Liverpool cruised past Huddersfield 5-0 at Anfield on Friday to move the Reds temporarily back on top of the table and edge ahead in the race for the Golden Boot.Salah, last season’s winner, holds a slender lead with 21 Premier League goals to Mane’s 20.However, it was Mane and not the Egyptian who made it into the PFA’s player of the year this week.Salah has now scored more goals (69) in his first 100 games for the club than any other player in Liverpool’s history and Jurgen Klopp believes backing up his incredible 44-goal debut campaign with another stellar season is an even bigger achievement.“It’s such an important season for him,” said Klopp. “After a flying season in which nearly every shot was a goal, then being assessed by everyone, is it just a one-season thing?“Keeping that level (the next season) is an even bigger achievement than scoring 40 goals last season, which was already an incredible achievement.”‘Legend’ Aguero hits 20 againSergio Aguero moved level with Mane as his winner at Burnley ensured the Argentine has now scored 20 goals in five consecutive league seasons — the first player to do so since Thierry Henry.“He is a legend; he does that all the time, score important goals for us,” said City boss Pep Guardiola. “He is an incredible player.”City are now just two wins away from a fourth title in eight seasons.Aguero, whose memorable stoppage time goal against QPR in 2012 started that run, remains as important to City’s challenge now as he was then.Tiring top four contenders falterFor the second consecutive weekend, none of the contenders for the final two Champions League places behind City and Liverpool won.
Facebook3Tweet0Pin0 If you’re a parent, you know growing up is hard. A child’s mind and body are always changing, and learning how to adapt to these changes can be incredibly stressful. Children can feel pressure from all aspects of their life: to succeed in school, to succeed at sports, to succeed at making friends. It is important for you to look for ways to let children know that they’re appreciated and can succeed, and trophies are a tried and true way to help.Commemorating a child’s achievements impacts them in several positive ways. It creates a memory for the child. Children will display their trophies proudly, and any time they see these awards, they will remember the story associated with them. It also provides the child a tangible object that they can feel proud of. It is not merely something given to them, but rather something they earned due to their achievements and skill. This encourages children to take pride in themselves, developing self-esteem. Perhaps most importantly, receiving a trophy, medal, or award is fun! Everybody loves the opportunity to be honored for their achievements, and children are no different.Friendly competition is a great motivator to improve one’s skill in a given area. The competitive spirit encourages children and adults alike to try their hardest. However, children appreciate tangible rewards for their hard work. A medal, trophy, or other award is a great way to give children something to strive for.All kids can benefit from receiving awards and medals in their life. Awards are a great way of acknowledging them for their hard work. Customized trophies, awards and medals from TAGS Awards & Specialties can help motivate your child, create a proud memory, and improve their self-esteem.
9 February 2009France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was crowned 2009 South African Tennis Open champion, pocketing the R800 000 winner’s cheque at Montecasino in Johannesburg on Sunday.Even on a day when the top-seeded Muhammad Ali look-alike battled to find his rhythm in difficult high altitude conditions, he wore down fellow Frenchman Jeremy Chardy on his way to a 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) victory.Tsonga said afterwards that inexperience counted heavily against his countryman on the day. “I think Jeremy played well, but was let down by lack of experience when it mattered most.‘He took a lot of risks’“There were times when he took a lot of risks, and it did not always come good for him. This was his first ATP World Tour final; he now has the experience of playing in a final and I am sure he will do well in the future.“It is always hard starting the match on serve, but what is important is that I improved as the match progressed.“This result is good for me as it keeps me on course; for me to get in the top ten, I have to win at least two tournaments and now that I have the SA Tennis Open in the bag so early in the year, I can now play the rest of the year without too much pressure,” he added.ImpressedTsonga, who is very proud of his African origins (his father is Ivorian) was impressed with the organisation and facilities at the event. “I think the tournament was well prepared for a first time edition. Everything was great and the only notable problem for me was the high altitude, but that is the nature of tennis; one has to adapt in different weather conditions.Victory for Tsonga was a well-deserved reward for the support he had shown the SA Tennis Open. He flew to South Africa to promote the tournament and then, during the tournament, took time out to hold a coaching clinic in Soweto.Chardy said his unforced errors came about because of the risks he took in order to impose himself on the game. “I try to make winners but in doing so I make mistakes,” he explained. “If the chances I take come off then I have winners instead of mistakes.”Doubles finalIn the doubles final, American James Cerretani and Dick Norman of Belgium registered a 6-7, 6-2, 14-12 win against local star and Davis Cup veteran Rik de Voest, who partnered Australian Ashley Fisher.The result was hard on the De Voest/Fisher combination which had a championship look about it in the second set, which they won emphatically, to force the contest into a tie-breaker. However, it was Cerretani and Norman who walked away with the coveted Kudu horn trophies and a flattering purse of R250 500.Source: South African Tennis Association
Realme announced its entry into the Chinese market last week and the company is tipped to launch its phones sometime in May. It was previously expected that the company will bring its existing lineup of phones to China like the Realme 3 Pro (Review) and Realme C2, but it now looks like Realme also plans to unveil a brand new device as well. A new promo video was just uploaded on Realme’s official Weibo account, showing off a phone with a pop-up selfie camera.The promo video doesn’t mention the name of this Realme phone, but it’s clear that this is a new device that has not been launched in any market as yet. The most obvious takeaway from the video is that the Realme phone will offer a notch-less display with thin bezels all around and a noticeable chin. The phone will come with a pop-up camera system that rises from the center of the top frame. That’s pretty much all we get to see from the 47-second teaser. The video does not reveal what the back of the Realme phone looks like. As for the specs, some recent leaks by noted tipsters claim that the Realme phone will come with a Snapdragon 730 chipset, which sounds right considering Xiaomi is also planning to launch a Snapdragon 730-powered Redmi phone.Additionally, this upcoming Realme phone may also sport a large 6.5-inch AMOLED display with an in-display fingerprint sensor. It is also said to house a 3,680mAh battery. The Reame phone is also tipped to be 9.4mm thick, possibly due to the pop-up camera mechanism inside. Based on some renders spotted on Chinese certification site TENAA, the Realme phone will offer a 3D glass rear panel with a dual camera setup.advertisementRealme recently announced the Realme 3 Pro in India as its flagship device, but this upcoming phone looks to be a more premium flagship offering. It is unclear whether Realme plans to launch this pop-up camera phone in China alone or bring it to India as well. To recall, Realme India CEO Madhav Sheth teased at the launch of the Realme 3 Pro that the company will be back for a launch in May.ALSO READ | Realme 3 Pro review: Believe the hype
D.J. Night with L’Oréal Paris – Tuesday, February 19 – Actress and L’Oréal Paris spokesperson, Freida Pinto, will join Vanity Fair and L’Oréal Paris to host a chic party at the newly reopened Teddy’s restaurant at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel featuring an exclusive performance by D.J. AcE. This invitation-only event will benefit 10 × 10, a campaign that supports the education of girls around the world through film and social media advocacy. Barneys New York Dinner to Toast Silver Linings Playbook – Wednesday, February 20 – Vanity Fair and Barneys New York will host a private dinner at the Chateau Marmont to toast the cast of the Academy Award–nominated film Silver Linings Playbook in support of The Glenholme School, a center of Devereux and a therapeutic school for students with special needs. Chrysler Brand Toast to Les Misérables – Wednesday, February 20 – Vanity Fair and the Chrysler brand will host a private cocktail party at Eveleigh restaurant to toast the cast of the Academy Award–nominated film Les Misérables in support of The Los Angeles Fund for Public Education. Vanity Fair vice president and publisher Edward J. Menicheschi has announced the slate of events for the 14th installment of Campaign Hollywood, the magazine’s annual, week-long celebration leading up to the Academy Awards.Co-sponsored by Vanity Fair advertisers including the Chrysler brand and L’Oréal Paris, Campaign Hollywood reflects the glamour, art, and excitement of Oscar Week in Hollywood, while spotlighting brands and charities in a way that only Vanity Fair can. This year also marks the 100th anniversary of the magazine.The Chrysler brand has returned as the automotive sponsor of Campaign Hollywood 2013 for the third year. By partnering with Vanity Fair, Chrysler will allow the magazine’s V.I.P. guests to arrive in luxury throughout Campaign Hollywood week in the sophisticated and smart 2013 Chrysler 300, as well as experience the latest 2013 Fiat 500. In addition, Chrysler will host a private cocktail party at Eveleigh restaurant to toast the cast of the Academy Award–nominated film, Les Misérables, in support of The Los Angeles Fund for Public Education on Wednesday, February 20.L’Oréal is once again the exclusive beauty sponsor of Campaign Hollywood. L’Oréal Paris, Lancôme, and Clarisonic brands will be represented at select events throughout the week by way of product displays, sampling, and touch-up stations. The beauty brand also will host D.J. Night with actress Freida Pinto, featuring a special performance by D.J. AcE to support 10 × 10, a campaign that supports the education of girls around the world through film and social media advocacy.In celebration of Campaign Hollywood, Vanity Fair will host dedicated Campaign Hollywood displays throughout the week at Hollywood and Highland and Westfield Century City. Consumers will have the opportunity to interact with a branded Campaign Hollywood Chrysler Varvatos 2013 Luxury Edition display at Hollywood and Highland and a 2013 Fiat 500c display at Westfield Century City. Select Campaign Hollywood partners will be distributing product giveaways and prizes throughout the week. In addition, consumers will be encouraged to strike a pose in front of the vehicle displays and upload via Instagram, for a chance to win curated prizes from Vanity Fair and select partners. As an added bonus, Monday through Saturday afternoons, a makeup artist will be on-site at Hollywood and Highland to provide red carpet touch-up looks by L’Oréal Paris. Additionally, shoppers will have the opportunity to have their photo taken in the Vanity Fair Oscar night party photo booth which will be displayed in Barneys New York, Beverly Hills throughout the week.“This year, Vanity Fair is celebrating its 100th anniversary, so it’s particularly fitting that we’re leading off with our favorite time of year—Oscar week,” Menicheschi said. “We have a blue-chip lineup of sponsors each with their own unique connection to Hollywood, and we’re thrilled to be able to raise a glass to the dreamers and the doers who make this one of the most remarkable places on earth.”The Campaign Hollywood 2013 schedule of events is as follows: “Vanities” Calendar Celebration with Juicy Couture – Monday, February 18 – Vanity Fair and Juicy Couture, along with Vanity Fair senior west coast editor Krista Smith and The Newsroom actress and former “Vanities” subject Olivia Munn, will kick off Campaign Hollywood week by hosting the “Vanities” Calendar Celebration in support of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, a member of Feeding America, at the Chateau Marmont. This invitation-only reception will feature a mix of past “Vanities” subjects, celebrities, and industry insiders, with music by D.J. Ms. Nix. Beauty Luncheon with Lancôme and Clarisonic – Thursday, February 21 – Vanity Fair will join Lancôme and Clarisonic for a day of pampering hosted by Vanity Fair beauty director SunHee Grinnell at the Argyle Salon & Spa at Sunset Tower Hotel. Hollywood’s top makeup artists will be treated to Clarisonic facials, Lancôme makeup touch-ups, spa treatments, and a light lunch at this intimate, invitation-only event to benefit 10 × 10, a campaign that supports the education of girls around the world through film and social media advocacy. “Una Notte Verde” with Fiat – Thursday, February 21 – Vanity Fair and Fiat, along with Academy Award–winning composer Hans Zimmer and Academy Award–winning director Ron Howard, will host “Una Notte Verde,” a cocktail party at Cecconi’s West Hollywood to benefit The United Nations’s International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Green Jobs Programme. This invitation-only reception will feature celebrity guests, industry insiders, and supporters of the ILO, the U.N. agency, which sets international standards and promotes and protects fundamental rights at work.