Last year the story was different as they never truly shook off a sluggish start and were unable to mount a strong defence of their title. Clichy, 28, said: “Last season was last season – it has gone. “There is nothing we can do about it but it is always nice to start the season they way we did, in front of the fans as well. “It was a great performance from the strikers to the defenders and we cannot ask for more.” Manchester City defender Gael Clichy believes the team met their expectations in terms of style and substance in their season-opening victory over Newcastle. Press Association Clichy feels they impressed on both required fronts as they overran Newcastle from the outset to win with slick attacking football. The Frenchman said: “When you play for a team like City you always want the three points. “The ideal game is to play attractive football, score goals and create chances but at the end of the day the most important thing is three points. “On Monday night we did that, with the way we played as well. We can be happy with the result. “It was a good performance defensively and offensively and hopefully we can carry on like this. It was a great game. “Away from home it will be more difficult but it is a good way of starting the season. We are going to play like this (in approach) from today to the last game.” City’s performance evoked memories of when they launched their title-winning 2011-12 campaign with a 4-0 win over Swansea. They went on to win 12 and draw two of their first 14 games to lay the foundation for a memorable season. City thrashed the 10-man Magpies 4-0 at the Etihad Stadium on Monday to get their Barclays Premier League campaign off to a flying start. It was also a perfect first game for new manager Manuel Pellegrini, who has been told his task is not only to win silverware at City, but to do so in style.
Absorbing match-ups are sprinkled liberally across the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships this week. Yet, despite the collective allure, one has captured the nation’s imagination. That special one pits Nigel Ellis of St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) against Jhevaughn Matherson of Kingston College (KC) and Raheem Chambers of St Jago High School. In a world where the Olympic or World 100m champion has long been dubbed the world’s fastest human, that extra interest is understandable. Chambers and Matherson are precocious talents who each have won the Class Three 100m in record time. Two years ago, Chambers out-started his friendly KC rival to win in a Class Two record time of 10.29 seconds, with Matherson next in 10.37 seconds. By contrast, Ellis has never won a Champs medal before. This late bloomer moved from Cambridge High and has blossomed at STETHS. He was fourth in both the Class One 100 and 200m last year, with Chambers behind him in the shorter race. All of those ahead of him, including former Calabar standout Michael O’Hara, are gone. So is his 2015 personal best of 10.45. Some didn’t believe his fast-winning Western Champs times of 10.20 and 20.40 seconds until his measured 10.26-second dash to beat Chambers in the Under-20 100m at the recent Carifta Trials. Even though that was Chambers’ first 100m of the season, and even though Matherson smoothly released a 10.25 to win the under-18, everyone believes in Ellis now. His mission is to become the first boy from STETHS to win the Class One 100m. For all that, there are some other big matchups. Ellis’ schoolmate, Junelle Bromfield, and Ashley Williams of Holmwood Technical are heading for a highly anticipated meeting in the Class One 400m. Bromfield is strong and Williams is quick, but the STETHS girl is just about 0.3 faster on the clock this year. Despite all that and the lofty expectations for the clashes between Jauavney James, Shevon Parkes, and Leon Clarke in the Class One 800m and between the JC pair of O’Brien Wasome and Clayton Brown in the Class One triple jump, the girls’ Class Two 100m hurdles will share the spotlight. Two former Class Three and Four winners, Sidney Marshall of Manchester High and Holmwood’s Shanette Allison, demand attention in the Class Two 100 metres hurdles. Allison edged her elder rival at Central Champs and looked great on Tuesday in the Champs heats. Her time of 13.60 seconds led all qualifiers in the preliminary round. Perhaps next year, when she will again be in Class Two, she will knock on the door of the record, set at 13.38 seconds by Peta-Gaye Williams. As in the boys’ Class One 100m, there is another worthy contender. That’s Marshall’s teammate, Daszay Freeman. This leggy lass has sprint credentials, having beaten St Jago’s outstanding Kimone Shaw. Marshall is slick. Allison is quick and Freeman has the look of someone who will keep improving. One of them could become really, really good. That’s the great thing about Champs. Whether the athlete is as unheralded as Ellis or as established as bright prospects like Chambers and Matherson, those who watch Champs keenly could see a gem. So here’s a word of advice. Don’t lose focus after the big 100-metre final. The girls’ Class Two 100-metre hurdles could be the race of the meet. HIGHLY ANTICIPATED
Click here if you’re having trouble viewing the slideshow on your mobile device.SAN FRANCISCO — On Saturday, the Warriors play the Lakers in the first game of the preseason and in the new Chase Center.Understanding that players and coaches are not yet in regular-season shape, there are a few things worth monitoring that could provide real takeaways. Atmosphere at the Chase CenterAfter 47 years at Oracle Arena in Oakland, an arena known for its loud home crowd, the Warriors will …
The Mets got out to a strong lead, and were able to maintain their momentum to take the game over the young Mavericks team by five touchdowns at Port Macquarie’s Regional Sports Stadium. The game started off at a frenetic pace, with both team moving the ball well and making plenty of metres in attack. It took until the sixth minute for either team to get on the scoreboard, with a diving touchdown to the Mets’ Stacey Lapham giving her team a 1-0 lead.Impressive ball movement from the Mets at the midway mark of the first half saw the side create an overlap, with Claire Winchester giving her side a handy 2-0 advantage. The Mavericks were quick to hit back, with captain Kylie Hilder leading by example in the next set of six, diving over the line to get her side back within one touchdown. Some great teamwork by the experienced duo of Louise Winchester and Kristy Judd resulted in another Mets touchdown to Judd with six minutes remaining in the first half, and when Nola Campbell squeezed through a gap to score, the Mets took a 4-1 lead with just minutes of the first half remaining. But the Mets weren’t done for the half yet, scoring another two touchdowns, one to Kristin Boss in the seventeenth minute and one to Pepita Macalister-Knight two minutes later, to take an impressive 6-1 lead to the half-time break. The Mets picked up where they left on in the early exchanges of the second half, with Elin Mortimer diving over in the corner, and Nicole McHugh also scoring to take their side’s lead out to 8-1.The Mavericks got back on the scoreboard in the ninth minute of the second half, through Nicole Beck, to get back within six touchdowns of the Mets. Two more quick touchdowns to the Mavericks, through Beck and Jess McCall, got the side back into the game at eight touchdowns to four. The Mets hit back through a Mortimer touchdown in the late stages of the game to take a comprehensive win, 9-4. Mets captain Louise Winchester was rewarded for her strong game, being named the Player of the Final. The Queensland Pride’s Peta Rogerson was named the Karen Smith medallist, the medal for the Player of the Series. Stay tuned to the website and TFA’s Youtube page for all of the highlights from finals day at the 2011 X-Blades National Touch League.
Dumped Valencia director Mateu Alemany in contact with Barcelonaby Carlos Volcano12 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveDumped Valencia director Mateu Alemany is in contact with Barcelona.RAC1 reports Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has been in contact with Alemany about taking up a role at the Camp Nou. Marcelino and Alemany worked together at Valencia to bring the club its first trophy in 12 years when they won the Copa del Rey last year. But both have now been discarded.Alemany is currently negotiating with Valencia to let him leave his contract as the breakdown between the executive and owner Peter Lim has broken beyond repair. That would allow him leave Valencia and join another top flight team. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Tamara Pimentel APTN National NewsOne of the founders of Idle No More says her family is in fear of losing their generational living grounds in Saskatchewan.As clearcutters slowly move in, their traditional practices are getting pushed out.But she’s not backing down without a fight.
NEW YORK — It’s OK to eat some romaine lettuce again, U.S. health officials said. Just check the label.The Food and Drug Administration narrowed its blanket warning from last week, when it said people shouldn’t eat any type of romaine because of an E. coli outbreak. The agency said Monday that romaine recently harvested in Arizona, Florida, Mexico and California’s Imperial Valley is OK to eat. It says romaine from those places wasn’t yet shipping when the illnesses began.It says the tainted romaine appears to have come from the Central Coast region of California.The produce industry agreed to start putting harvest dates and regions on labels. For romaine that doesn’t come in packaging, grocers and retailers are being asked to post the information by the register.The FDA warned Americans not to eat romaine that isn’t labeled with that information, and it said it had commitments from the industry that such labeling will become standard for romaine. It also noted hydroponically grown romaine and romaine grown in greenhouses isn’t implicated in the outbreak.The labeling arrangement was worked out as the produce industry called on the FDA to quickly narrow the scope of its warning so it wouldn’t have to waste freshly harvested romaine. An industry group said people can expect to start seeing labels as early as this week. It noted the labels are voluntary, and that it will monitor whether to expand the measure to other leafy greens and produce.Robert Whitaker, chief science officer of the Produce Marketing Association, said labeling for romaine could help limit the scope of future alerts and rebuild public trust after other outbreaks.“Romaine as a category has had a year that’s been unfortunate,” Whitaker said.The FDA still hasn’t identified a source of contamination in the latest outbreak. There have been no reported deaths, but health officials say 43 people in 12 states have been sickened. Twenty-two people in Canada were also sickened.Even though romaine from the Yuma, Arizona, region is not implicated in the current outbreak, it was blamed for an E. coli outbreak this spring that sickened more than 200 people and killed five. Contaminated irrigation water near a cattle lot was later identified as the likely source.Leafy greens were also blamed for an E. coli outbreak last year. U.S. investigators never specified which salad green might be to blame for those illnesses, which happened around the same time of year as the current outbreak. But officials in Canada identified romaine as a common source of illnesses there.The produce industry is aware the problem is recurring, said Jennifer McEntire of the United Fresh Produce Association.“To have something repeat in this way, there simply must be some environmental source that persisted,” she said. “The question now is, can we find it?”Growers and handlers in the region tightened food safety measures after the outbreak this spring, the industry says. Steps include expanding buffer zones between cattle lots and produce fields. But McEntire said it’s not known for sure how the romaine became contaminated in the Yuma outbreak. Another possibility, she said, is that winds blew dust from the cattle lot onto produce.McEntire said the industry is considering multiple theories, including whether there is something about romaine that makes it more susceptible to contamination. Compared with iceberg lettuce, she noted its leaves are more open, thus exposing more surface area.Romaine harvesting just recently began shifting from the Central Coast growing regions in central and northern California to other regions. Since romaine has a shelf life of about 21 days, health officials said last week they believed contaminated romaine could still be on the market or in people’s homes.Food poisoning outbreaks from leafy greens are not unusual. But after a 2006 outbreak linked to spinach, the produce industry took steps it believed would limit large scale outbreaks, said Timothy Lytton, a Georgia State University law professor. The outbreak linked to romaine earlier this year cast doubt on how effective the measures have been, he said.But Lytton also noted the inherent risk of produce, which is grown in open fields and eaten raw.The FDA said the produce industry also agreed to consider longer-term labeling options that would help identify and trace leafy greens.___The Associated Press Health & Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.Candice Choi, The Associated Press
NEW DELHI: The AAP on Sunday declared its last candidate in Delhi for the Lok Sabha polls, with a senior leader saying the announcement was made seeing the Congress’s “irresponsible and indecisive” attitude towards an alliance. Balbir Singh Jakhar will be the Aam Aadmi Party’s candidate for the West Delhi parliamentary seat. Names of candidates for the other six seats were announced by the party on March 2.Elections to the seven Lok Sabha seats in Delhi will be held on May 12. The results will be declared with the rest of the country on May 23. Also Read – Gurdwara Bangla Sahib bans single use plasticDelhi minister and AAP leader Gopal Rai said the party has waited long enough for an alliance with the Congress, but seeing the “irresponsible and indecisive” attitude of the grand old party, the AAP has decided to declare the name of its seventh candidate. “The AAP has declared all its seven candidates. We waited for long that all parties would join hands to beat the government but the way the Congress is behaving, irresponsibly, and has been indecisive for the past three months, the AAP has decided to take its movement (for full statehood for Delhi) forward,” Rai said. On Thursday, he had said the AAP will fight the Lok Sabha polls on the issue of full statehood and it is “late now” for talks on an alliance in Delhi. “The country is disappointed with the Congress and our internal survey shows seven percent vote share of the Congress. People feel that the Congress is not serious about Delhi, so the AAP has launched a mega campaign… The Congress is confused and everyone is giving different statements,” Rai said. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderAnnouncing the name of Jakhar, Rai said he has been associated with the AAP since the Jan Lokpal Movement. He was the president of the co-ordination committee All Delhi District Court Bar Association. The other six AAP candidates are Atishi from East Delhi, Guggan Singh from North-West Delhi, Raghav Chadha from South, Dilip Pandey from North-East, Pankaj Gupta from Chandni Chowk and Brijesh Goyal will contest from New Delhi seats.
New Delhi: Bidders in a consortium that bids for acquiring stake in cash-strapped Jet Airways have to furnish individual solvency certificates, according to SBI Capital Markets. “While all soft copies of the EOIs (Expressions of Interest) are required to be submitted by the EOI due date, the hard copies may be submitted by April 14, 2019,” it said in a set of clarifications issued regarding the bid document. According to the EOI document issued on Monday, April 10 is the last date for submission of initial bids. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalJet Airways is grappling with acute financial crunch and the SBI-led consortium of domestic lenders are implementing a debt resolution plan. SBI Capital Markets has invited bids on behalf of the lenders. “Bidders are required to provide the solvency certificate … on their letterhead and certified by Managing Director/ Full Time Director / Chief Executive Officer of the bidder or a person holding an equivalent position in the bidder,” it noted. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostIn the case of consortium, each member has to submit solvency certificate, which is a proof of an entity’s financial stability. As part of the debt resolution plan for the full service carrier, the lenders are looking to restructure “existing facilities and infusion of funds by way of loans or acquisition/ subscription of up to 75 per cent of equity share capital of the company”. Shares of Jet Airways declined 1.59 per cent to close at Rs 263.40 on the BSE. Meanwhile, for the third time in a week, national oil marketer IndianOil Thursday stopped fuel Supply to cash-starved Jet Airways for non-payment of dues. This is the third time that the public sector oil marketing company has cut fuel supply to the airline in the past eight days, which is struggling to keep afloat amid acute liquidity crisis. “IndianOil has stopped fuel supplies to Jet Airways in Mumbai, New Delhi and Hyderabad airports for its failure to clear dues,” the source said. Mumbai is the largest base for the airline and it operates maximum flights from the city. On March 4 and 5 also the oil company had cut supplies to Jet and restored only after getting an assurance from the airline management.
Rabat- The government council, which met on Tuesday, under the chairmanship of head of the government, Abdelilah Benkirane, adopted the 2014 finance bill.The bill presented by economy and finance minister Mohamed Boussaid is an ambitious and realistic framework seeking to take on economic challenges associated with the external and internal contexts, in a delicate external economic juncture and meet the expectations of citizens and partners by scheduling a package of practical and financial measures, a release of the communication department said.The economy and finance minister stressed in his presentation that the project was developed on the basis of the Royal high instructions outlined in the Sovereign’s speeches on the occasions of the throne day, the Revolution of the King and the people and the opening of the parliament’s autumn session, the release goes on, explaining that the bill is a crucial step in implementing economic, social, political and structural reforms that are a vital element to succeed in facing the challenges of economic and social development. The bill was adopted after the various observations were taken into account, says the source which also notes that major measures include perfecting the institutional construction, speeding up the pace of structural reforms, restoring the public finance balances, preserving the stability of external assets, supporting investments and enterprises, developing employment mechanisms and supporting social cohesion mechanisms. The project was based on several hypotheses, particularly a growth of 4.2pc and a deficit of 4.9 pc.