Poro Devil Wanted for Alleged Torture, Murder

first_imgA devil of the Poro Society involved in the alleged torture of one Samuel Mansuo, 55, which turned fatal in Zuaplay Town, Doe Administrative District, Nimba County, is said to have escaped upon news of the arrest of 28 of its followers.The Administrative District Commissioner, Samuel Napah Wehyee, quoted the women of Zuaplay who said that they saw the devil escaping to the nearby town called Gbanquoi, after his followers were arrested.On Saturday, October 17, Samuel Mansuo was arrested and tortured for his failure to comply with the norms of the Poro Society, which call for payment of fines for ‘violating rules’ in the town.It all began when the late Samuel Mansuo’s son, Nentor Mansuo, got into a dispute with one of his friends in Zuaplay over a parcel of land which he (Nentor) accused his friend of illegally taking.During the dispute, Nentor vandalized the house his friend was building on said land.Based on that report, the citizens of the town held a traditional trial.  Samuel stood trial for his son Nentor, who by then had absconded.  He was found guilty of violating the town’s rule against fighting and violence and ordered to pay a fine of a pan filled with rice along with cattle. According to the police, the man begged for time to allow him find the items with which to pay, but some members of the town refused and demanded that the man pay the fine at once or be arrested by the devil.It was based on this demand that the devil’s chairman, Saturday Womengbah, ordered the arrest of the man, tied and tortured him until he died.The police charged 14 persons with murder and sent them to court while others connected to the alleged crime   were set free, as police said those freed had no connection to the incident.It had earlier been reported that 27 persons were arrested in connection with the killing, but police later confirmed that 24 were arrested, of which 14 were charged and 10 set free.The devil remains at large.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Hart not in England’s World Cup squad for Russia 2018

first_img0Shares0000Joe Hart is under pressure for his England number one spotLONDON, United Kingdom, May 15 – Joe Hart has been told he will not be part of England’s 23-man squad heading to the World Cup in Russia, Sky Sports News understands.England manager Gareth Southgate will announce his squad on Wednesday, but we understand he has decided against taking Hart as his third choice goalkeeper behind Stoke City’s Jack Butland and Everton’s Jordan Pickford. The news bodes well for Burnley’s uncapped keeper Nick Pope who now looks to be in prime position to be named in the squad which heads for Russia on Tuesday, June 12.Hart was left out of West Ham’s starting XI by manager David Moyes for their final four games of the season, following their 4-1 defeat to Arsenal at the Emirates in April.The 31-year-old has been England’s first choice goalkeeper for the last three major tournaments and has 75 international caps.Swansea’s Alfie Mawson will also not be included in Southgate’s squad for the World Cup after he underwent successful knee surgery on Monday – keeping him out for between six weeks and two months.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more