Rising equities fail to dent UK pension deficits in April

first_imgDefined benefit (DB) pension schemes in the UK saw their deficits expand marginally last month while funding levels remained static, according to data from consultancy Mercer.Funding levels for the 350 largest DB pension schemes in the UK stood at 83% at the end of April, unchanged from the end of March, while the schemes’ accounting deficits rose to £128bn (€172bn) from £127bn, Mercer’s monthly pension risk survey showed.Asset values fell by £4bn between the end of March and the end of April, to stand at £625bn, while liability values were down £3bn at £753bn.The company said that, even though liability values had fallen during the period — driven by a rise in corporate bond yields — this had been offset by the fall in asset values. Ali Tayyebi, senior partner in Mercer’s retirement business, said: “The deficit remained substantially unchanged during April.”He said this masked quite big changes in corporate bond yields and market implied inflation over the one-month period.“This month, they happen to have had broadly opposite effects on the calculation of the liabilities,” he said.Tayyebi said this volatility was a continuation of a trend seen over recent months.Mercer said deficits at DB schemes had increased by almost 20% so far this year, and that it was disappointing for sponsors as well as trustees that the funding position was still weak.It observed that certain parts of the investment market had done well during April – equities in particular – while others such as interest-rate reductions had been negative.Le Roy van Zyl from the firm’s financial strategy group, said: “Dealing with the pension scheme risk at an acceptable cost is, therefore, very much about looking below the headlines.”He said schemes had to look at the individual financial drivers, as well as respond to emerging opportunities and threats.last_img read more

FSB suspends work on systemic risk posed by asset managers

first_imgThe Financial Stability Board (FSB) has suspended work on regulation for asset managers aimed at addressing systemic risk concerns, falling into line with the International Organisation of Securities Commissions (IOSCO).The FSB, a Switzerland-based organisation of financial policymakers and central bankers, consulted on additional regulations earlier this year.Working together with the IOSCO, a market regulator umbrella group, the FSB was assessing whether asset managers were systemically important to financial markets.The organisation could have proposed additional capital requirements on those asset managers or investment funds deemed systemically important, but it has now confirmed it will suspend its work until a wider financial-stability risk study is complete. This follows on from an IOSCO statement in June, where the organisation said its immediate focus would be a full review of the asset management market in a global financial context, instead of systemic risk.IOSCO chair Greg Medcraft told a conference in London that the problem of systemic risk should be tackled only after the market review, and that previous work identifying this should be reviewed.The FSB said the market review would improve the analysis of stability issues and thereby inform any future assessments. Its proposals originally focused on risks associated with market liquidity and asset management activities, including sources of vulnerability for asset managers.Asset managers – which have downplayed their relative importance to the financial system, being mere agents for other investors – will welcome the decision.Vanguard and BlackRock, responding to the FSB and the IOSCO’s consultation earlier this year, argued that managers were just one component of the market and called for a wider focus on markets and asset classes.last_img read more

Antiqueños urged to stay calm amid ‘meningococcemia’ scare

first_imgDr. Leoncio Abiera Jr. on Jan. 15 urged the public not to panic over the suspected case of meningococcemia. He said the bacterial disease could not just infect anyone. PNA/ANNABEL CONSUELO PETINGLAY It cannot survive in the outsideenvironment for over a minute, he said. Meanwhile, Dr. Luz Resurreccion,Pediatrics Infectious Diseases Specialist at the ASMGH, said meningococcemiausually occurs among children below four years old and to those“immunocompromised” persons because of their low resistance to the bacteria. Abiera said as of Wednesday, around 70persons have already received prophylaxis by a medical team which was sent toBarangay Buhang to conduct health education among the residents in the area.(With a report from PNA/PN) SAN JOSE, Antique – The IntegratedProvincial Health Office (IPHO) urges Antiqueños not to panic over the reporteddeath of a three-year-old boy due to a suspected case of meningococcemia. “The case as for now is justmeningococcemia suspect until the Research Institute for Tropical Medicinecould confirm the result of the blood sample taken from the boy,” Abiera said. “Please don’t panic,” Abiera said,adding meningococcemia is caused by Neisseria meningitis bacteria that can liveharmlessly in the upper respiratory tract of a human being. The boy experienced fever, convulsionand vomiting. His mother brought him to the Angel Salazar Memorial GeneralHospital (ASMGH) around 9 a.m. on Jan. 13. “The mode of transmission of thedisease is droplet,” he added. Abiera said the child, who is fromDumangas, Iloilo, was on vacation with his mother in Antique since Dec. 29,2019.  The boy, however, died around 2:30p.m. of the same day. “For those children who had closecontact with the suspected case, Rifampicin is being given as prophylaxis fortwo days while for adults, one dose of Ciprofloxacin,” Resurreccion added. IPHO Health Officer Dr. Leoncio AbieraJr. on Wednesday appealed for calm, regarding information circulating on socialmedia about the death of a three-year-old boy who was on vacation in BarangayBuhang, Hamtic, Antique. last_img read more

Fahey charge up for Thurles double

first_img Paul Fahey’s charge fought out a thrilling finish to the two-mile-six-furlong heat last October, eventually edging out Drive Time by just a nose at the line. His three other starts at the County Tipperary venue have yielded second places and while He’llberemembered is now an 11-year-old, he showed there is still plenty of life left in him with a cracking effort in the Cesarewitch at the Curragh last time. As a 50-1 shot, the Blue Ocean gelding finished off strongly for sixth place and he boasts the highest mark in the four-runner field. Moonshine Lad, who represents the in-form Gordon Elliott yard, is next best on the official ratings but he is on a perch some 10lb lower and they race off level terms here. Keep On Track and Ordinary Man complete the line-up. Moonshine Lad’s rider Paul Carberry has a potentially nice mount in the opening Holycross Mares Chase as he teams up with Down Ace. A winner of five successive races last year when with Fergal O’Brien in Britain, the seven-year-old now makes her debut over fences having joined the Noel Meade team. She was a point-to-point winner earlier in her career and after a fair run over hurdles on her debut for Meade, she can perhaps make the most of the weight she receives from Our Ned and the course winner Dazzling Susie. Carberry has a chance on his other assignment too, aboard Prima Vista in the www.thurlesraces.ie Beginners Chase, but another chasing newcomer could come to the fore here. Gigginstown House Stud and Mouse Morris’ Allied Victory boasts good credentials for this game as he’s a half-brother to Hear The Echo, who won the 2008 Irish Grand National for the same connections. He’llberemembered tries to repeat his victory of last year as he lines up in the Premier County Hurdle at Thurles once again.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Car crashes into home in Port St. Lucie

first_imgThe St. Lucie Fire District responded to an incident that involved a car that ran a stop sign and crashed into a home on Tulip Boulevard.Authorities say two people were inside the home at the time of the incident, but none of them were hurt.Port St LucieAt 7:51 am units were dispatched to a MVC. One of the vehicles plunged into the side of a nearby home. Squad 17 is securing the house & Red Cross will assist the family of 5. Two people were transported from the vehicles with non-life-threatening injuries. pic.twitter.com/aBY3unaCSj— StLucieFire (@StLucieFireDist) February 5, 2020 Police did not make an arrest, they only cited the driver.last_img read more

Barca, Real Madrid look to grab the top spot in El Clasico clash

first_imgBarcelona: Barcelona and Real Madrid go into Wednesdays hugely-awaited LaLiga El Clasico locked together at the top of the table after late drama in both their games last weekend.LaLiga’s top two sides are currently tied on 35 points each, four ahead of third-placed Sevilla, with El Clasico as their game in hand.The winner of the rearranged game at the Camp Nou this week will go to the top of the table through the winter break.The two months since the fixture was initially postponed in October has seen both Real and Barca kick into much better form following up-and-down starts to the campaign.Both teams had stiff tests this weekend, though. Barca was in action first and found themselves involved in a thriller at Real Sociedad on Saturday. Txuri-urdin captain Mikel Oyarzabal put his side in front from the penalty spot but Barça seemed to have turned it around with goals from Antoine Griezmann and Luis Suarez before home forward Alexander Isak equalized for 2-2 late on to ensure the spoils were shared.Sunday saw Zinedine Zidane’s side start strong at Valencia but appeared to be heading for defeat when Los Che youngster Carlos Soler scored with 12 minutes remaining.But there was still time for Karim Benzema to hammer in an equalizer, after his team’s goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois had gone forward for a 95th-minute corner, bringing a 1-1 final score.The two sides have also been evolving together over the course of the 2019/20 season. Real Madrid has been invigorated by the emergence of youngsters Fede Valverde and Rodrygo, with the Uruguayan midfielder, 21, and Brazilian forward, 18, both potentially match-winners as they look to start El Clasico for the first time.An issue for Zidane is on the left of the defence, where versatile utility man Nacho Fernandez filled in against Valencia on Sunday.Barca has also been tweaking their side positively as the season has progressed, with summer arrivals Frenkie de Jong and Antoine Griezmann now more integrated into Barça’s trademark passing style of football. The return to prominence of Ivan Rakitic has also helped their midfield cohesion, while left-back Jordi Alba proving himself fit again on Saturday was another boost.Much of the focus will again be on Barca talisman Lionel Messi, who has 18 goals and nine assists in 29 career El Clasico matches in LaLiga. Although Messi was missing with injury in the corresponding fixture last season, Barça still ran out resounding 5-1 winners at the Camp Nou, with Uruguayan star Luis Suarez stepping up with a hat-trick.Zidane was, however, unbeaten at the Camp Nou in LaLiga during his first term as Real Madrid coach, winning 2-1 in 2015/16 and securing draws during the two following campaigns. Valverde also has an excellent record in El Clasico, with last March’s 1-0 LaLiga victory at the Santiago Bernabeu making it three wins and a draw in four meetings since taking the Barca job. IANS Also Read: Former Real Madrid midfielder Lucas Silva on comeback trail kick startAlso Watch: Protest against CAA-2019 is on, Several protesters join AASU in Tinsukialast_img read more

Prize-winners receive spoils for Turbo KO football

first_img… GBI looking to the future with PetraTHE Guyana Beverage Inc. (GBI) from all intentions will be back in 2018 with their signature Turbo Knockout Football tournament.This was revealed by the Turbo commercial manager Samuel Arjune yesterday at the presentation of trophies for the 2017 tournament which was won by Camptown Football Club.He added that while the company was pleased with the recently concluded tournament, they are looking forward to more advancements, including the introduction of Hinterland teams.“I want to challenge the football fraternity. Recently I read that it is part of the GFF now, but more than that, we need more activities for Hinterland Sports men and women,” he said.The GBI executive continued, “We at the Guyana Beverage Inc. will support such initiative that seeks to provide an opportunity to young people in the hinterland area.”Meanwhile, co-director of the Petra organisation Troy Mendonca stated that they are happy to have found a partner in the Petra organisation.“I think we look forward to a tournament that football, at the end of the day, won. We’ve seen a camaraderie among teams,” the Petra co-Director added.He singled out teams like Grove Hi-Tech, Pouderoyen, Silver Shattas, Winners Connection, Kuru Kuru and Mahaica Determinators as those with whom the body enjoyed working outside of the usual Georgetown unit.“Even on the field of play, they demonstrated that organisation and enthusiasm and I think this tournament would have been able to fuse teams from other sub-associations and Georgetown.”Winners Camptown FC were presented with a trophy and $500 000 for beating Police FC 1-0 on December 3 at the Ministry of Education ground. Police also pocketed $125 000 for their efforts on the night.Third place went to Pouderoyen, who also won 1-0 over Grove Hi-Tech in the earlier game.last_img read more

North Carolina takes rubber game against Syracuse, 2-1, with walk-off walk

first_img Related Stories Sydney O’Hara leads Syracuse to 8-2 win over UNC in game 1; SU falls 3-1 in game 2 Four walks given up by Sydney O’Hara and Jocelyn Cater in the seventh inning resulted in a 2-1 walk-off win for North Carolina (12-11, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) over Syracuse (9-11, 1-2 ACC) in their third matchup of the weekend.The Tar Heels took the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning after Taylor Wike singled to center field, scoring Kiana Sherlund. But neither team would score again until the final frame.In a 3-2 count in the top of the seventh inning, Corinne Ozanne hit her team-leading fourth home run of the season to tie the game, 1-1. But UNC struck back in the bottom half of the inning.O’Hara struck out UNC’s Dani Garcielita to begin the bottom half of the seventh inning, but then walked Aquilla Mateen and Kristen Brown. Jocelyn Cater then replaced O’Hara, and forced a lineout to third base to get the second out.Cater then intentionally walked Tracy Chandless to load the bases, which backfired after Cater threw four balls against Darby Rosen. That scored Mateen, sealing North Carolina’s second win of the weekend.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAnnaMarie Gatti gave up five hits with one strikeout in four innings, while O’Hara allowed one hit and four walks before being pulled in the seventh inning for Cater.The Orange returns to the diamond on Tuesday afternoon, when SU will visit Savannah State for a doubleheader. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Published on March 13, 2016 at 2:37 pm Contact Chris: cfthomse@syr.edulast_img read more

Booker scores 38, Suns rally for 120-112 win over Knicks

first_img COMMENT SUBSCRIBE TO US Written By Devin Booker scored 38 points, Kelly Oubre Jr. added 29 and the Phoenix Suns rallied in the fourth quarter for a 120-112 victory over the New York Knicks on Friday night.Phoenix won for the third time in four games. Aron Baynes added 20 points and 12 rebounds, while Deandre Ayton had 15 points and 13 boards.Booker scored at least 30 points for a fifth straight game, the longest streak of his career and tying a franchise high. Oubre shot 11 of 16 from the field, including 5 of 7 from 3-point range.Marcus Morris scored 25 points and Bobby Portis added 20 off the bench for the Knicks, who were trying to win four straight for the first time in more than two years. Julius Randle had 13 points and 13 rebounds.The Knicks led for a big chunk of the game, including 87-83 after three quarters, but the Suns rallied to take a 94-93 lead on Ricky Rubio’s 3-pointer with about 8 minutes left. The teams traded the lead for the next few minutes, but the Suns pushed ahead for good on a short jumper by Baynes with 5:22 left.Coming off victories over Brooklyn, Washington and Portland, the Knicks got off to another good start and led 61-51 at halftime. Portis scored 11 points in the half and Randle had 10.Phoenix had another lethargic first half, two nights after falling behind by 33 points against the Lakers. Booker scored 17 points before the break but the Suns missed all nine of their 3-point attempts.TIP-INSKnicks: G Dennis Smith Jr. (left oblique strain) didn’t play for a fourth straight game. … New York had a 30-19 rebounding advantage in the first half. … The Knicks fell to 10-25 this season.Suns: F Frank Kaminsky III (knee soreness) didn’t play for a third straight game. He’s averaging 11 points this season. … Rubio (hip) started two nights after a scary fall in the fourth quarter against the Lakers. … Ayton has had at least 10 rebounds in all five of his games this season. It’s the first time a Suns player has done that since Shawn Marion in 2007. … The Suns improved to 14-21.UP NEXTKnicks: New York continues its road trip at the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday.Suns: Phoenix hosts Memphis on Sunday. WATCH US LIVE LIVE TVcenter_img First Published: 4th January, 2020 10:51 IST Associated Press Television News Last Updated: 4th January, 2020 10:51 IST Booker Scores 38, Suns Rally For 120-112 Win Over Knicks Devin Booker scored 38 points, Kelly Oubre Jr. added 29 and the Phoenix Suns rallied in the fourth quarter for a 120-112 victory over the New York Knicks on Friday night. FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Admir Raščić and Edin Bebanić now players of Velež

first_imgIn the next season which starts in late July, Velež brought two new players and one of them is Admir Raščić who used to play for football club Borac from Banja Luka, reports sportspor.baRaščić said that he hopes Velež will fare better in the next season adding that it is a great club and he’s happy to play for it.Another player coming to Velež is 25 year old midfielder who played in the 1st League of FBIH Edin Bebanić.last_img