Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf Urges President to Resolve, Not Escalate Trade War

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter June 03, 2019 Press Release,  Statement Harrisburg, PA – Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf today called on President Donald Trump to drop his threat of new tariffs that could cost American consumers nearly $93 billion, stating that the plan could backfire and make illegal immigration worse by damaging the Mexican economy. Gov. Wolf previously faulted the administration’s “lack of strategy” on trade.Governor Wolf’s statement:“This haphazard approach on trade and the economy has already negatively impacted our farmers, manufacturers, and consumers. Now, the White House’s latest threats could amount to the largest tax increase in 30 years for U.S. consumers.“And yet, for all the pain caused, there is still not a clear strategy to resolve the many fronts of their trade war. China continues to retaliate, and the President has made a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada even more unlikely. Like the markets, I’ve become more skeptical that a resolution is anywhere in sight.“I don’t believe these harsh tariffs on Mexico will curb illegal immigration. By damaging Mexico’s economy further, the plan risks doing the opposite and driving struggling individuals across the border.“It is time to end the chaos. I urge President Trump to drop this new threat, avoid raising costs for U.S. consumers, and focus on negotiating and resolving all fronts of his trade war. It is time to put the politics aside and focus on delivering the better trade deals that were promised.”center_img Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf Urges President to Resolve, Not Escalate Trade Warlast_img read more

Carroll closing in on return

first_imgSam Allardyce believes West Ham’s record-signing Andy Carroll could be fit and ready to play again in “two to three weeks”. Carroll is now back in training and the plan is for the 25-year-old to play Under-18 and Under-21 games before returning to first-team action in mid-November. “It’ll be another two to three weeks, if he has no niggles or problems, before we talk about playing him in the team at any level,” Allardyce said. “We’ll try to get him through three or four behind-closed-doors games and if that goes all right then we would hope to have him back. “It’s been a long, hard road again for Andy and one he’s been too familiar with recently, sadly. “Hopefully he’ll have a major impact when he comes back again.” West Ham desperately missed Carroll last year as the Hammers’ lack of goals saw them dragged into a relegation scrap. It has been a different story so far this season, however, as summer signings Diafra Sakho and Enner Valencia have added some much-needed fire-power up front, pushing Allardyce’s side up to fourth in the table. The former Bolton manager admits the team’s impressive start to the campaign means the club can afford to take extra care over Carroll’s return. The Hammers splashed out £15million to sign Carroll permanently in June 2013 but the England striker has started only 12 Barclays Premier League matches during an injury-ridden 16 months at Upton Park. The powerhouse centre forward missed the first five months of last season with a foot injury and is yet to feature in the current campaign after tearing ankle ligaments on the club’s pre-season tour of New Zealand. “Last time we got him back and he did his ankle but carried on playing so this time round we don’t want to (rush) him,” Allardyce said. “We’re hopefully going to get him back as quick as we can but we’re not going to rush him back because, touch wood, there’s no desperate need at the moment.” Sakho’s pace and finishing has revitalised West Ham’s attacking threat this season, with the Senegalese striker scoring in each of his last six games. Sakho and Valencia were both on target in the 3-1 victory at Burnley last weekend and Allardyce will be hoping for more of the same when the Hammers host Manchester City on Saturday. “From my point of view I thought it would have been a slower process but we wouldn’t have expected Enner Valencia to make such a big contribution either,” Allardyce said. “The pair of them have hit it off together – it’s not just the goalscoring, it’s the energy they give the team which is very important in today’s highly competitive game. “Your energy, intensity and sprinting capabilities are very important today in breaking down defences. “They turned the game for us against Burnley because we weren’t very good in the first half and then two beautiful crosses creates two goals. “That’s what you wish for, that’s what you dream of as a manager in the Premier League.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Hunter Biden Stepping Down from Board of Chinese Equity Firm

first_imgHunter Biden joined the board of BHR in 2013. He plans to give up his board seat by October 31. Hunter Biden is stepping down from the board of directors of a Chinese-supported private equity firm, according to his attorney, George Mesires.According to reports, Hunter Biden’s business dealings in both China and Ukraine are becoming an issue in the 2020 presidential race, as President Trump and his allies continue to accuse Hunter and his father, Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, of corruption.In an effort to avoid further issues or conflicts of interest, Hunter Biden is vacating his seat on the board of directors of BHR Equity Investment Fund Management Co.In a statement, Mesires explains, “Hunter makes the following commitment: Under a Biden Administration, Hunter will readily comply with any and all guidelines or standards a President Biden may issue to address purported conflicts of interest, or the appearance of such conflicts, including any restrictions related to overseas business interests. In any event, Hunter will agree not to serve on boards of, or work on behalf of, foreign owned companies.”last_img read more