MIKE Rush was at a loss to explain Saints 4216 ca

first_imgMIKE Rush was at a loss to explain Saints 42-16 capitulation to Wigan at the Magic Weekend.The Club’s Acting Head Coach said he could find no positives from the defeat and couldn’t explain why his side weren’t at the races in the opening 20 minutes.“To be fair they were excellent in the first 25 minutes and we were 26-0 down and we hadn’t really had a crack at them,” he said. “I think we completed our first five or six sets, but it didn’t matter as we didn’t do anything to stem that flow. At that point they’d had 14 sets and we had about seven and you can’t play rugby like that.“Defensively you have to aim up and it wasn’t good enough. That takes nothing away from how good Wigan where. They were good in that opening 20 minutes.“I don’t think it is a mental thing [why we can’t beat Wigan] but I know that will sound strange. We just weren’t there in that first 20 minutes and it is impossible to tell you why as it is Saints v Wigan and it is a derby game and therefore we should have no excuse for not being there in the first 20 minutes.“They completed sets, Sam Tomkins was great on the edge. For us? We looked shattered and when we got the ball we went one out and a kick as we were tired. Isn’t that what we did to Leeds and Warrington in the first 20 minutes earlier in the season? It is hard if a side does as well as that to get back into it and we just didn’t get into it. End of.“The short turnaround from Monday made no issue. We had six days so it wasn’t an issue. Monday was a big game and it was a great game. But everything we did well on Monday night we undid today. That’s frustrating.“I haven’t seen the second half incident on the video yet so I can’t comment. It is hard to see it from where we were. Once it started tempers went didn’t they? No doubt we will all be at Red Hall on Tuesday.”last_img read more

Battleship named second best attraction in NC

first_img USA Today’s 10Best enlisted a panel of North Carolina travel writers and photographers to nominate their favorite state attractions, and for the past four weeks, 10Best readers have been voting for their favorites.“We were proud to be named in the list of Top 10 Attractions when the contest began,” Battleship Marketing Director Meaghan Holmes said in a news release. “And to be voted the second best attraction in North Carolina by our visitors, fans and city we are truly honored and thankful, we appreciate all the support.”The Battleship finished second behind Mount Airy Main Street. The top 10 winners in the category Best North Carolina Attraction are:Mount Airy Main Street – Mount AiryBattleship North Carolina – WilmingtonBiltmore Estate – AshevilleSarah P. Duke Gardens – DurhamGrandfather MountainBlue Ridge ParkwayInternational Civil Rights Center & Museum – GreensboroCape Lookout National Seashore – Harkers IslandGreat Smoky Mountains National ParkCorolla Wild Horses – Corolla Battleship North Carolina (Photo: Helen Holt/WWAY) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The Battleship North Carolina was one of the most decorated ships of World War II. And in its decades of retirement, it continues to rack up the honors.The latest is being named the second best attraction in North Carolina in USA Today’s 10Best Reader’s Choice Awards.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Neighbors young and old forced to leave Ogden homes after historic flooding

first_img “There’s already mold on it,” said Holly Vineyard looking at her old high school photos that sat in a box in the families flooded garage.Priceless memories are now covered in mold. Creating new memories and experiences for Chad Shouler and Vineyard that they will never forget.“Very last minute before we left,” said Shouler.Related Article: Motts Channel Seafood welcomes customers first time since FlorenceThe two says they almost did not leave their Glen Ridge home before Florence hit. It’s a good thing they did. Flood waters reached nearly a foot inside forcing them outside and into a hotel .“We did not plan on this at all,” said Vineyard. “And it’s sad because we had just moved in and it just felt like it was where we needed to be.”Vineyard says they were too late to get renters insurance before the storm. Nearly all of their personal items are gone.“The water just came pouring out of this one,” said Barbara “Bobby” O’Neill scanning what use to be her bathroom.Just two doors down Bobby O’Neill had similar damage to her home.“You know there were only two devastating things in my life and that was the loss of my husband and this was the second thing,” said O’Neill.Unlike Holly and Chad, she didn’t leave.“Water was pouring in through the baseboards so maybe when it was two inches high in my house, my cats and I got on my bed and we were just going to stay there and pray,” said O’Neill.She got out with the help of a neighbor and was rescued. The neighborhood suffered historic flooding unlike ever before according to neighbors.O’Neill had insurance, but there are some things it can’t even replace.“Every time they took something down that was damaged, I thought my husband put that up when he was alive so it’s sad in many ways.”Through the sadness and loss there’s come selflessness and grace. Steven and Kathy Stilwell opened their home up to O’Neill as her home is being repaired.For Holly and Chad, neighbors are donating items like food and clothes.that kindness is their fuel to move forward.“Everyone that has found out who we are have really made sure to step up in every way possible and it’s been amazing,” said Vineyard. NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) —  North New Hanover County was devastated with unprecedented flooding after Florence hit. In a WWAY follow up, we met with neighbors of one neighborhood devastated by flooding.Along one street in Glen Ridge, multiple families were displaced. At the same time, multiple neighbors stepped up to give what they could.  Even if it meant giving a spare room.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Community gives back to Coast Guard families during shutdown

first_img Unlike other branches of the military, members of the Coast Guard are not being paid during the shutdown.Those who live month to month are having to pick up second jobs, apply for government programs, or rely on help from the community.Less than two miles from the Oak Island Coast Guard Station is the Oak Island Golf Club. General manager Steve Isley says the chief of Caswell Beach Police came to him with an idea to help these families in need.Related Article: Residents upset over debris grinding behind their neighborhood“We got a lot of commercial fishermen that live here. And our resources, we depend on our guys being able to get out in the ocean and take care of their livelihood. And the Coast Guard is always there for them, they were here for us during Hurricane Florence,” said Isley.Isley says because military members cannot accept large gifts, he asks the community to donate gift cards of $20 or less to gas stations, grocery stores, or other necessities.Coast Guard spouses like Mary Charpek are grateful for the support.“It’s just so joyous to see the community coming together to support us,” Charpek said. “We’re such a small branch, and not a lot of people know what’s going on with the Coast Guard not being paid, and to see the community, the mayor, the golf course, the fire department, the police station coming out to help is just so heartwarming and it’s amazing to see.”Isley says after all the Coast Guard did for Oak Island during Hurricane Florence, he wants them to know how much the community appreciates them.“The Coast Guard is a small branch, but we’re a family, and it’s been really nice to see the community come together and be additional family for us all,” said Coast Guard spouse Katherine York.Any gift cards or other donations worth $20 or less can be brought to the Oak Island Golf Club and then will be distributed to Coast Guard families. They will later be distributed to the families. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Southeastern North Carolina’s large Coast Guard community must continue to work without receiving a paycheck.Now, others in the community are stepping up to give these families a helping hand.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Dales Seafood reopens months after fire destroys building

first_imgCOLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — a Columbus County restaurant that burned down last year is back and better than ever. Dale’s Seafood had it’s grand reopening Thursday night.When Dale’s Seafood burned down in June 2017, owner Rusty Tyson vowed to rebuild.- Advertisement – “I’m not a quitter, I’m a winner. And I told people I’d be back,” said Tyson.Dale’s has been a Tabor City staple since the 1980’s.Tyson had originally planned to have the restaurant rebuilt and ready to reopen by October, but he ran into some setbacks.Related Article: California firefighters fan flames with broken window post“We had 100 rain days, and then we got the metal building up, the metal part,” said Tyson. “And then we put our first piece of metal up, and we had no screws. They sent me somebody else’s screws, the wrong color. I needed grey and they sent me green.”Tyson’s friend and builder of the new restaurant Jeffrey Sumner says it had to be constructed differently to meet new building code.“Metal studs, metal building, all drywall, very little wood in the whole building,” said Sumner. “State of the art fire sprinkler system, fire alarm system, HVAC system. Everything’s state of the art.”Sumner says they got the certificate of occupancy at 8:30 Thursday morning, and the restaurant was open by 4:00 p.m.Besides the building, not much else has changed.“I waited seven months just to come eat at Dale’s Seafood. But I say it was worth the wait,” said one man.With a packed parking lot, it seems the grand reopening was a success.“Dale’s Seafood is back. Just tell the whole world we’re back,” said Tyson.Tyson says he expects to be even busier over the coming weekend.last_img read more

Business finds used syringes around parking lot worried for safety

first_img Horrell has owned The Purple Groomery on Wrightsville Ave. in Wilmington since 2012. She worked there under the previous owner starting in 2007.She says last month she noticed the N.C. Harm Reduction Coalition had moved in next door.“There’s been a lot of people hanging out in the parking lot and leaving trash in the parking lot,” Horrell said. “People hanging out on the sidewalk when they’re not open.”Related Article: New data show drug overdose deaths, suicides climbed at alarming rates in 2017The organization has a needle exchange program and provides Narcan to those who need it.Horrell says the activity has made both her and her clients feel unsafe.“It’s affecting my business, and now we’ve got needles being left in the parking lot, and that’s a super serious thing,” Horrell said. “Especially if a client’s dog were to step on it.”Bernadette Calicchio, a phlebotomist at the N.C. Harm Reduction Coalition, says they do more than just exchange needles. They promote safe sex by giving out condoms, provide a place for homeless people to rest and more.She says she did not expect the push back the organization is getting.“More than anything, we empower our participants to be more safe in their drug use,” Calicchio said. “You can go anywhere and find a syringe, I mean just this weekend I was walking in Halyburton Park and I found a used syringe in the sand on a walking trail.”Horrell says she did contact the police and they’re looking into the issue. She says she can’t afford to move her business, and she’s looking to get a concealed carry permit to protect herself. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington dog groomer is concerned for her business and her safety after an organization that helps drug users moved in next door.“When my child gets here in the afternoon, I want the door locked,” Christina Horrell said. “Because she’s all I have besides my dogs.”- Advertisement – last_img read more

Domestic incident led to shelterinplace at Wrightsboro Elementary

first_imgWrightsboro Elementary School (Photo: Wrightsboro Elementary School) NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A New Hanover County elementary school had to shelter-in-place for hours Wednesday afternoon because of a domestic incident that happened off campus.New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Jerry Brewer said a man threatened a woman with whom he had a relationship and her child. That child attends Wrightsboro Elementary.- Advertisement – Brewer said while no threat was made against the school, deputies increased their presence at the school while they searched for the man.A school spokeswoman said the shelter-in-place went into place at 11:30 a.m. and lasted until the school dismissed.Brewer said as of Wednesday afternoon, they had not located the suspect, so an additional  school resource officer helped coordinate dismissal.Related Article: Why are animal cruelty cases on the rise in New Hanover County?The school district said Wrightboro’s principal notified parents through an automated calling system.Brewer said they will make plans for Thursday if the suspect is not found. There is a warrant out for the man for communicating threats.last_img read more

Watch The answers are in London and not in the European Union

first_imgPrime Minister Joseph Muscat has met with the Chief Negotiator of the European Union for Brexit Michel Barnier.During a press conference held at the Auberge de Castille, Muscat said that during his visit to Malta, Michel Barnier visited a number of places including Malta Customs. He said that the ball is now in the UK’s Government of the United Kingdom court and stressed that Barnier has done a remarkable job which made the unity and consistency of the European Union stand out.In turn, Barnier turn thanked the Prime Minister and the Maltese diplomatic team for their support to him over the recent months and the confidence to show it the Maltese Government. He spoke about what his job entails, which he described as ‘complex’. He explained that his job is to to listen to what government, the stakeholders, and Maltese businesses and the national parliament have to say, and insisted that he remained committed to work for a common goal.Barnier stressed that the EU must ensure an agreement for the UK as a country with the the Union, and not just what he called a “divorce agreement”.As regards the political situation in the UK, Barnier said that the discussions between the British parties are ongoing. He said he will continue to follow them in order to better understand what the future relationship of the European Union to the United Kingdom will be.He said that the EU could be more ambitious if the UK wanted to form part of the Customs Union. He stressed that the integrity of the single market and the autonomy of the 27 member states of the European Union must be assured.Barnier is currently meeting with several members of the government to discuss the position of the Maltese Government as regards the United Kingdom. WhatsApp SharePrintcenter_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Bacca is on his way back to the Yellow Submarine

first_img SharePrint Villareal are close to signing Colombian striker Carlos Bacca as part of the deal that will see Samu Castillejo join AC Milan. Bacca spent last season on loan with the La Liga side and impressed during his stint by scoring 18 goals in 43 appearances.The former Seville player is expected to sign a four-year deal with the Yellow Submarine even though AC Milan had reportedly made a deal with Sporting Lisbon to take Bacca on loan with an option to buy. The attacker moved to Milan from Seville in 2015 after the Colombia international scored 49 goals in 108 appearances for the La Liga side.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=a7617b59&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=128&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=a7617b59&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Multi Surf From Airtel Uganda – Product Review

first_imgAdvertisement Ever had a scenario where you had no internet data to send that email, when you very well knew that a friend had like 1 GB of data they are not using at the moment! Or worse ever been in a situation where you have to approve your URA(Uganda Revenue Authority) TIN but could not access any internet? This list is fairly goes on and it is because Uganda and Africa is still facing the Internet access problem and the few companies (ISPs and Mobile Telecoms) are over charging for their services.We all dream of the day when the internet will be free or approximately free, this is evident with the rate with which we access the free WiFi spots around town. A lot of innovation is still required and many telecoms in Uganda are not asking a lot of  “What if” questions to solve this problem, well I said many beside Airtel Uganda which just launched the Multi Surf data product.What is Multi Surf? – Advertisement – Multi surf or Surf Share service enables Airtel customers to share bundle to 4 more other Airtel subcribers  irrespective of where these other subscribers are. Is that cool or what!Imagine having a smartphone, a tablet and a laptop, and let’s  say you subscribed data for your modem and shared it with the number in your phone and tablet. You will not have to worry about Internet or switch lines when you have to travel up country, what this telecom is saying is that they know you have many devices and all they want to do is make the internet experience on all these devices as friction-less as possible.Why I think it’s cool 😉Whoever came up with this idea did a great job of analyzing the trends because sharing will always be caring, and if social media now enables you to share your moments with the people you love, Why cant Airtel enable you to do the same but for bundles.We now don’t have to worry about not having WiFi connection any more, If I know a friend who has bundle, I will just tell them to add me to their Multi Surf service and I will start enjoying.What Airtel should Improve.The service is limited to Monthly subscribers which limits who is supposed to sing up for the service, the other turn down would be that the person who initially subscribed cannot control the data usage of the people who are accessing the data.My recommendationsI think this is a step into disrupting how people access internet in Uganda and I am happy about this innovation, however Airtel needs to let me limit the bundle usage because using a photo sharing analogy, I like controlling the photos I share on Instagram, we don’t want my drunk photos out there if you know what am saying. Just let me assign a data limit to the people I share my data with.Try the product via *175# and follow the prompt from surf share. Finally I think this is a step into the unknown, and I want to see other Telecoms in Uganda bringing services like these to their customers. Please care to leave your thoughts in the comments section and I will see you in the next one.last_img read more